EXCLUSIVE: Shonda Rhimes and Betsy Beers’ Shondaland has set up its fourth project this development season. ABC has put in development drama How To Get Away With Murder, from Shondaland and ABC Studios, where the company is based. Written by Grey’s Anatomy supervising producer Peter Nowalk, How To Get Away With Murder is described as a sexy, suspense-driven legal thriller about a group of ambitious law students and their brilliant, mysterious criminal defense professor who become entangled in a murder plot that will rock their entire university and change the course of their lives. Nowalk, Rhimes and Beers executive produce. This is the consecutive second year that Shondaland is developing with Nowalk, who has been on Rhimes’ Grey’s Anatomy since 2008. Last fall, the company sold an FBI drama penned by Nowalk to NBC. How To Get Away With Murder joins three other projects Shondaland has sold to ABC so far this summer, dramas from Mistresses developer/executive producer KJ Steinberg and Made In Jersey creator Dana Calvo, and a comedy from Cougar Town co-executive producers Christine Pietrosh and Jessica Goldstein. Rhimes is with ICM Partners; Nowalk and Beers are with UTA.
ABC Buys Legal Thriller From Shondaland & ‘Grey’s Anatomy’ Writer
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
Box Office Friday: 'Guardians' Tops 2014; 'As Above/So Below' Nabs No. 3; 'Cantinflas' Es Excelente!
More From Andreeva
- ABC Buys Medical Thriller From Janine Sherman Barrois & Aaron Kaplan
- Bob Cooper, EOne Prep Post-Apocalyptic Event Series With Book Acquisition
- Fox Buys Detective Drama Based On Australian Miniseries 'Jack Irish'
- 'The Greatest American Hero' Gets Fox Remake With Phil Lord & Chris Miller
- Jennifer Johnson Exiting 'The Following' As Showrunner, Trio Takes Over
- Enver Gjokaj & Chad Michael Murray Cast In ABC Series 'Marvel's Agent Carter'