Image Entertainment acquired the film at Cannes and will open it in theaters Sept. 6. Winnie Mandela stars Jennifer Hudson as the longtime wife of South African activist-turned-President Nelson Mandela (Terrence Howard) who fights for her husband’s freedom during his long incarceration, endures 18 months of solitary confinement of her own and battles to help end apartheid. The movie from writer-director Darrell J. Roodt hits theaters nearly four months ahead of Mandela: Long Walk To Freedom, the Weinstein Company’s biopic about Nelson Mandela starring Idris Elba.
‘Winnie Mandela’ Biopic Starring Jennifer Hudson Gets Late-Summer Release Date
What's Hot on Deadline
WGA Awards: 'Spotlight' & 'The Big Short' Take Marquee Film Honors; 'Mad Men', 'Veep' & 'Mr. Robot' Top TV - Full List
Video - Melissa McCarthy Spoofs Hollywood's Audience Test Screenings & Cracks Up Leslie Jones: 'Saturday Night Live'
Latest Film News
- Michael Moore’s ‘Where To Invade Next’ Tops Slow Weekend – Specialty B.O.
- BAFTA Awards Winners List (LIVE)
- BAFTA Awards Live Blog
- ‘Deadpool’ Rises To $125M+, ‘Zoolander 2,’ ‘How To Be Single’ Follow – Int’l Box…
- Lionsgate Acquires UK Rights To ‘Ghost Stories’ – Berlin
- Debbie Harry Joins ‘I Am The Pretty Thing That Lives In The House’ – Berlin