Image Entertainment acquired the film at Cannes and will open it in theaters Sept. 6. Winnie Mandela stars Jennifer Hudson as the longtime wife of South African activist-turned-President Nelson Mandela (Terrence Howard) who fights for her husband’s freedom during his long incarceration, endures 18 months of solitary confinement of her own and battles to help end apartheid. The movie from writer-director Darrell J. Roodt hits theaters nearly four months ahead of Mandela: Long Walk To Freedom, the Weinstein Company’s biopic about Nelson Mandela starring Idris Elba.
‘Winnie Mandela’ Biopic Starring Jennifer Hudson Gets Late-Summer Release Date
What's Hot on Deadline
'SNL': Anderson Cooper Addresses White House Firings; John Goodman & Fred Armisen Make Surprise Visits
Ellen Barkin Says "Never Get Into An Elevator Alone With Terry Gilliam" After His Criticism Of #MeToo Movement
'Avengers: Infinity War' Already The Best-Selling Superhero Movie In Advance Ticket Sales, Beating 'Black Panther'
Director Terry Gilliam Says #MeToo "Got Silly", "Monster" Harvey Weinstein "Opened The Door" For Some
'SNL' Imagines Apology Spree By "Canada's Harvey Weinstein," Trots Out Impressions In 'Jurassic Park' Auditions
Latest Film News
- Paramount’s ‘Dora The Explorer’ Movie Set For Australia Shoot After Tax Break Concession
- ‘First Match’ And ‘TransMilitary’ Are Among SXSW Audience Award Winners
- Shia LaBeouf, Lucas Hedges To Star In ‘Honey Boy’
- ‘Augie’ Review: Fitness Giant’s ALS Struggle Makes For Moving Love Story
- ‘Can You Ever Forgive Me?’ First Look Trailer Showcases Melissa McCarthy As Literary Forger Lee Israel
- Saudi Arabia Fund Deal For Endeavor Stake Could Close In Week’s Time For $400M