Image Entertainment acquired the film at Cannes and will open it in theaters Sept. 6. Winnie Mandela stars Jennifer Hudson as the longtime wife of South African activist-turned-President Nelson Mandela (Terrence Howard) who fights for her husband’s freedom during his long incarceration, endures 18 months of solitary confinement of her own and battles to help end apartheid. The movie from writer-director Darrell J. Roodt hits theaters nearly four months ahead of Mandela: Long Walk To Freedom, the Weinstein Company’s biopic about Nelson Mandela starring Idris Elba.
‘Winnie Mandela’ Biopic Starring Jennifer Hudson Gets Late-Summer Release Date
What's Hot on Deadline
'Pacific Rim Uprising' Takes No. 1 With $23M+; 'Black Panther' Best Marvel Title Ever At Domestic B.O., Beating 'Avengers'
Latest Film News
- ‘Hunter Killer,’ Starring Gerard Butler & Gary Oldman, Pegged For October Release
- Female Directors Scorecard: Sony’s ‘Barbie,’ ‘Charlie’s Angels’ And More
- Nate Parker’s Next Gig: ‘Black & Blue,’ Feature About LAPD Hero Ralph Waddy
- ‘Superfly’ Trailer: Director X Moves The Action To Atlanta
- Pablo Larrain’s ‘The True American’ Talks Are With Amazon, Not Annapurna
- One To Watch: Can Hero-Obsessed Hollywood Make Room For Aspiring Actor Spencer Stone, The Guy Who Dropped That Terrorist On…