Image Entertainment acquired the film at Cannes and will open it in theaters Sept. 6. Winnie Mandela stars Jennifer Hudson as the longtime wife of South African activist-turned-President Nelson Mandela (Terrence Howard) who fights for her husband’s freedom during his long incarceration, endures 18 months of solitary confinement of her own and battles to help end apartheid. The movie from writer-director Darrell J. Roodt hits theaters nearly four months ahead of Mandela: Long Walk To Freedom, the Weinstein Company’s biopic about Nelson Mandela starring Idris Elba.
‘Winnie Mandela’ Biopic Starring Jennifer Hudson Gets Late-Summer Release Date
What's Hot on Deadline
Veterans 'Elementary', '2 Broke Girls', 'Criminal Minds' & 'Amazing Race' Among Series Left In Limbo After CBS Renewals
CBS Renews 5 Freshman & 11 Returning Series, Including 'MacGyver', 'Superior Donuts', 'Life In Pieces' & 'Hawaii Five-0'
Latest Film News
- ‘Wakefield’ Acquired By IFC Films For May Release
- Fox Searchlight Lands Robert Redford & Casey Affleck Starrer ‘The Old Man And The Gun’
- Producer Dylan Clark Joining Matt Reeves On ‘Batman’?
- Kristen Wiig In Negotiations To Star In ‘Where’d You Go Bernadette?’
- Damien Chazelle, Jordan Peele & Oprah Winfrey On Produced By Conference Roster
- ‘Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri’ Redband Trailer: Grieving Mom Frances McDormand Vs. Local Cop…