Image Entertainment acquired the film at Cannes and will open it in theaters Sept. 6. Winnie Mandela stars Jennifer Hudson as the longtime wife of South African activist-turned-President Nelson Mandela (Terrence Howard) who fights for her husband’s freedom during his long incarceration, endures 18 months of solitary confinement of her own and battles to help end apartheid. The movie from writer-director Darrell J. Roodt hits theaters nearly four months ahead of Mandela: Long Walk To Freedom, the Weinstein Company’s biopic about Nelson Mandela starring Idris Elba.
‘Winnie Mandela’ Biopic Starring Jennifer Hudson Gets Late-Summer Release Date
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Team
- Greg Ellis Signs With Gersh; Pantheon Signs J.C. Chasez, Chris Payne Gilbert
- 'Twilight' Short-Film Competition For Women Is Backed By Stephenie Meyer & Lionsgate
- 'NCIS' Security Guard's Family Wins $10 Million Judgment Against CBS
- 'Horrible Bosses 2′ Trailer: Chris Pine, Christoph Waltz Do Bad Biz In Sequel
- UPDATE: Teresa Palmer Joins Benjamin Walker In 'The Choice', Nicholas Sparks Adaptation From Lionsgate
- Showtime Casts Rachel Bloom's 'Crazy Ex-Girlfriend' Pilot; Dominic Cooper Joins 'Marvel's Agent Carter'