EXCLUSIVE: Brenton Thwaites has been cast opposite Jeff Bridges in The Weinstein Company‘s The Giver. Thwaites will play Jonas in the Philip Noyce-directed adaptation of Lois Lowry’s 1993 dystopian children’s novel. Aged up from the book, the Jonas character is selected to become the next Receiver of Memory in the heavily ordered and seemingly perfect society. He bonds with the previous Receiver (Bridges) and discovers the lies that dominate their society and a more independent way of living. Scheduled to start filming in South Africa in the fall, The Giver is produced by Bridges and Nicky Silver with TWC’s Harvey Weinstein, Dylan Sellers and Julie Rapaport. The pic was adapted by Vadim Perelman with a rewrite by Michael Mitnick. Along with Liam Hemsworth, Noyce and Thwaites were both attached to Relativity Media’s Timeless project a couple of years ago. That film never went into production, but the Australian actor starred in the TV series Home And Away back home and then the Lifetime Channel film Blue Lagoon: The Awakening last June. Thwaites also landed the role of the Prince in Disney’s Maleficent with Angelina Jolie and Elle Fanning last May. Additionally was in the Film District distributed Oculus plus the upcoming indie Son of a Gun directed by Julius Avery and co-starring Ewan McGregor. He also just finished shooting William Eubank’s The Signal starring opposite Bates Motel’s Olivia Cook. Thwaites is repped by WME and by Dan Spilo at Industry Entertainment.
Weinstein Company’s ‘The Giver’ Adds ‘Maleficent’s’ Brenton Thwaites
What's Hot on Deadline
Latest Film News
- Daisy Ridley & Naomi Watts In Final Talks To Star In ‘Ophelia’; Covert Media Aboard New Take On ‘Hamlet’…
- ‘Don’t Think Twice’ Gets Summer Release Date
- SAG Awards 2017 Set For January 29; Will Air Live On TNT & TBS
- Charlie Hunnam Tapping Inner Steve McQueen In ‘Papillon’ Remake?
- Millennium Films Lands ‘Victim 321’ With ‘Zero Hour’ Helmer Diego Velasco; As ‘London Has Fallen’ Crosses…
- ‘Big Bad Wolves’ Helmers Aharon Keshales & Navot Papushado Exit Bruce Willis ‘Death Wish’ Remake