EXCLUSIVE: Brenton Thwaites has been cast opposite Jeff Bridges in The Weinstein Company‘s The Giver. Thwaites will play Jonas in the Philip Noyce-directed adaptation of Lois Lowry’s 1993 dystopian children’s novel. Aged up from the book, the Jonas character is selected to become the next Receiver of Memory in the heavily ordered and seemingly perfect society. He bonds with the previous Receiver (Bridges) and discovers the lies that dominate their society and a more independent way of living. Scheduled to start filming in South Africa in the fall, The Giver is produced by Bridges and Nicky Silver with TWC’s Harvey Weinstein, Dylan Sellers and Julie Rapaport. The pic was adapted by Vadim Perelman with a rewrite by Michael Mitnick. Along with Liam Hemsworth, Noyce and Thwaites were both attached to Relativity Media’s Timeless project a couple of years ago. That film never went into production, but the Australian actor starred in the TV series Home And Away back home and then the Lifetime Channel film Blue Lagoon: The Awakening last June. Thwaites also landed the role of the Prince in Disney’s Maleficent with Angelina Jolie and Elle Fanning last May. Additionally was in the Film District distributed Oculus plus the upcoming indie Son of a Gun directed by Julius Avery and co-starring Ewan McGregor. He also just finished shooting William Eubank’s The Signal starring opposite Bates Motel’s Olivia Cook. Thwaites is repped by WME and by Dan Spilo at Industry Entertainment.
Weinstein Company’s ‘The Giver’ Adds ‘Maleficent’s’ Brenton Thwaites
What's Hot on Deadline
'Gods Of Egypt': 'Selma' Director Ava DuVernay Responds To Alex Proyas & Lionsgate Apology For Lack Of Diversity - Update
Black Friday Box Office Explodes: Top 20 Pics +112% Over Thanksgiving; Katniss Eyes $74.4M 5-Day - Saturday AM Update
Two-Time Oscar Winner Jane Fonda Back In The Hunt For 'Youth' Three Decades After Her Last Nomination
Universal Lands Hot Novel 'The Girl Before'; Ron Howard To Direct, Brian Grazer & Michael De Luca To Produce
Latest Film News
- ‘The Assassin’, ‘Carol’, ‘Mad Max: Fury Road’ Top BFI Sight & Sound’s Best…
- Will DiCaprio, Depp Or Smith Nab Best Actor Oscar Or Does Redmayne Take It Again? — Awardsline
- ‘Gods Of Egypt’: ‘Selma’ Director Ava DuVernay Responds To Alex Proyas & Lionsgate Apology For Lack Of Diversity…
- ‘Steve Jobs’ Composer Daniel Pemberton: Video Of ‘Circle Of Machines’ Performance
- Deadline’s The Contenders: ‘Son Of Saul’ Director László Nemes & Star Géza Röhrig Discuss The Harrowing Cannes Winner’s Journey…
- What Is This ‘Project Delirium’ Jennifer Lawrence Wants To Direct?