Showtime is expected to announce during their TCA session on Tuesday that Oscar winner Philip Seymour Hoffman will star in and executive produce Trending Down, a comedy pilot, which is getting a green light after a long development process. Kathryn Hahn is expected to co-star in the pilot, which will be directed by John Cameron Mitchell (Hedwig and The Angry Inch). Developed by Ken Kwapis and created by This American Life contributor Shalom Auslander, Trending Down is a blistering attack on our youth-obsessed culture, and a darkly comic examination of what it means to matter. Or matter not. It centers on Thom Payne (Hoffman), a man facing his own obsolescence after his advertising agency is taken over. Hahn will play Thom’s wife. Hoffman, Kwapis, Auslander and Hoffman’s producing partner Emily Ziff will executive produce. Alexandra Beattie will co-executive produce. Trending Down marks the third pilot pickup at Showtime this year. It is the first comedy pilot, joining dramas The Vatican and The Affair. The network also gave straight-to-series order to Penny Dreadful earlier this year.
‘Trending Down’ Nears Pilot Green Light At Showtime With Philip Seymour Hoffman & Kathryn Hahn Starring
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
UPDATE: 'Cops' Bryce Dion Killed By Friendly Fire In Omaha While Filming Response To Wendy's Robbery
More From Andreeva
- Family Man Comedy From Bill Wrubel Gets CBS Pilot Production Commitment
- Fox Buys Sci-Fi Drama 'Nod' From Jason Richman & Chernin Co.
- Rila Fukushima Joins 'Arrow', Riley Voelkel Cast In 'Point Of Honor'
- Fox Buys College Comedy From Weezer Frontman Rivers Cuomo & 'Psych' Creator Steve Franks As Put Pilot
- Jason Bateman's Aggregate Films Reups Film & TV Deal With Universal, Hires Executive
- Zach Galifianakis & Louis C.K.'s Comedy 'Baskets' Gets FX Series Order