Showtime is expected to announce during their TCA session on Tuesday that Oscar winner Philip Seymour Hoffman will star in and executive produce Trending Down, a comedy pilot, which is getting a green light after a long development process. Kathryn Hahn is expected to co-star in the pilot, which will be directed by John Cameron Mitchell (Hedwig and The Angry Inch). Developed by Ken Kwapis and created by This American Life contributor Shalom Auslander, Trending Down is a blistering attack on our youth-obsessed culture, and a darkly comic examination of what it means to matter. Or matter not. It centers on Thom Payne (Hoffman), a man facing his own obsolescence after his advertising agency is taken over. Hahn will play Thom’s wife. Hoffman, Kwapis, Auslander and Hoffman’s producing partner Emily Ziff will executive produce. Alexandra Beattie will co-executive produce. Trending Down marks the third pilot pickup at Showtime this year. It is the first comedy pilot, joining dramas The Vatican and The Affair. The network also gave straight-to-series order to Penny Dreadful earlier this year.
‘Trending Down’ Nears Pilot Green Light At Showtime With Philip Seymour Hoffman & Kathryn Hahn Starring
What's Hot on Deadline
'Avengers: Infinity War' Already The Best-Selling Superhero Movie In Advance Ticket Sales, Beating 'Black Panther'
California Pol To Wolf Blitzer: Donald Trump "Spinning Out Of Control", Serious Security Threat, Has To Go
Latest TV News
- How Barbra Streisand Avoided #MeToo Moments In Her Career: ‘I Worked With Great Men’ – PaleyFest
- ‘Real Time’: Billy Bush Says Life Was “Chaos” After Trump Grabbing Scandal
- Attorney General Jeff Sessions Fires FBI Deputy Director Andrew McCabe
- Trump’s Lawyer Sues Stormy Daniels For $20M In Advance Of ’60 Minutes’ Interview
- “What If Our Politicians Weren’t The Bitch Of NRA?” Parkland Student Asks In PSA
- NBC Wants ‘Tonight Show’ Discrimination Suit Moved To Arbitration, Or Dismissed