Sony Pictures Classics is bumping up the Richard Linklater relationship sequel after a fruitful two month run. The pic has taken in $7.7M domestic and $10.6M globally so far, besting box office grosses for predecessors Before Sunrise and Before Sunset. Before Midnight stars Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy (who also both co-wrote) reprising their characters nearly twenty years after their first all-nighter meet cute. After an initial expansion that hit nearly 900 screens in May, Before Midnight‘s screen count decreased to 78 theaters by last week. Today SPC announced it’s once again expanding the pic’s run, this time to 226 screens. Meanwhile SPC’s other critical darling, Woody Allen‘s Blue Jasmine, is primed for a screen boost following its stellar debut last week. The film gave Allen the best per-screen average of the year and is generating Oscar buzz for star Cate Blanchett.
Sony Pictures Classics Expands ‘Before Midnight’ Run
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
Box Office FINAL: 'Maze Runner' Finds $32.5M; Liam's 'Walk' Limps In With $12.7M; 'Where I Leave You,' $11.5M
More From Team
- Global Showbiz Briefs: South Korea Submits 'Sea Fog' For Foreign-Language Oscar Race; Winnie Lau Joins Jet Tone Films
- Peter Dinklage Set For 'The Thicket'; John Magaro Joins 'The Finest Hours'; Celebrity Death Pool Pic Adds 6 To Cast
- John Candy's Son Takes The Lead In 'Bar America': Hot Trailer
- John Travolta, Kate Bosworth & Devon Sawa Wired Up For 'Life On The Line'
- 'Kingsman: The Secret Service': Hot Trailer
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 5: Hot TV Teaser