Sony Pictures Classics is bumping up the Richard Linklater relationship sequel after a fruitful two month run. The pic has taken in $7.7M domestic and $10.6M globally so far, besting box office grosses for predecessors Before Sunrise and Before Sunset. Before Midnight stars Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy (who also both co-wrote) reprising their characters nearly twenty years after their first all-nighter meet cute. After an initial expansion that hit nearly 900 screens in May, Before Midnight‘s screen count decreased to 78 theaters by last week. Today SPC announced it’s once again expanding the pic’s run, this time to 226 screens. Meanwhile SPC’s other critical darling, Woody Allen‘s Blue Jasmine, is primed for a screen boost following its stellar debut last week. The film gave Allen the best per-screen average of the year and is generating Oscar buzz for star Cate Blanchett.
Sony Pictures Classics Expands ‘Before Midnight’ Run
Trending Now on Deadline
'Midnight Rider' Trial Date Set For Indicted Filmmakers; 1st Assistant Director Hillary Schwartz Turns Herself In
More From Team
- 'Shameless,' 'House of Lies,' 'Episodes' Return To Showtime On January 11
- John Oliver Explains British Football To David Letterman: Video
- Discovery Studios Signs Exec Producer Rob Kerr
- National Geographic Channel Orders Series On Alaskan Log-Rafting From Gurney Productions
- 'Exodus: Gods And Kings' Trailer: Christian Bale & Ridley Scott Take On 'Ten Commandments'
- Ben Affleck On 'Daily Show': Jon Stewart “Spoils” 'Gone Girl' & 'Batman Vs. Superman' (Video)