The SAG Awards announced today that Rita Moreno has been named the 50th recipient of SAG-AFTRA’s highest tribute – the SAG Life Achievement Award for career achievement and humanitarian accomplishment. Given annually to an actor who fosters the “finest ideals of the acting profession”, the union’s top accolade will be given out at the 20th Annual Screen Actors Guild Awards simulcast live on TNT and TBS on January 18, 2014. The actress, singer, dancer, author, political and cultural and diversity activist and educator also has won an Oscar, two Emmys, a Tony, a Grammy, the Presidential Medal of Freedom, and the National Medal of the Arts. At age 81, the Puerto Rican-born Moreno has had a nearly 70-year career and currently plays Fran Drescher’s mother in TV Land’s Happily Divorced and recently wrote her autobiography Rita Moreno: A Memoir which became a 2013 bestseller.
Rita Moreno To Receive Life Achievement Award During 2014 SAG Awards
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
UPDATE: 'Cops' Bryce Dion Killed By Friendly Fire In Omaha While Filming Response To Wendy's Robbery
More From Team
- UPDATE: Joan Rivers Is 'Resting Comfortably' Says Daughter Melissa
- No Hollywood Credits For Obama IP Czar Nominee
- Hot Trailer: Jon Stewart's 'Rosewater'
- David Hyde Pierce Joins 'The Good Wife' In Recurring Role
- TNT's 'Proof', Netflix's 'Narcos' & Amazon Pilot 'Man In The High Castle' Add Cast
- Academy Unveils 2014 Governors Awards: Harry Belafonte, Jean-Claude Carrière, Hayao Miyazaki, Maureen O'Hara