The SAG Awards announced today that Rita Moreno has been named the 50th recipient of SAG-AFTRA’s highest tribute – the SAG Life Achievement Award for career achievement and humanitarian accomplishment. Given annually to an actor who fosters the “finest ideals of the acting profession”, the union’s top accolade will be given out at the 20th Annual Screen Actors Guild Awards simulcast live on TNT and TBS on January 18, 2014. The actress, singer, dancer, author, political and cultural and diversity activist and educator also has won an Oscar, two Emmys, a Tony, a Grammy, the Presidential Medal of Freedom, and the National Medal of the Arts. At age 81, the Puerto Rican-born Moreno has had a nearly 70-year career and currently plays Fran Drescher’s mother in TV Land’s Happily Divorced and recently wrote her autobiography Rita Moreno: A Memoir which became a 2013 bestseller.
Rita Moreno To Receive Life Achievement Award During 2014 SAG Awards
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Team
- Film Arcade And Paramount Team On Romantic Comedy 'Love, Rosie'
- Pete Hammond's Telluride Q&A With Makers Of 'The Imitation Game' (Video)
- UPDATE: Joan Rivers Remains In Serious Condition Following Thursday Cardiac Arrest
- UPDATE: Abrams Artists & 'Ghost Adventures' Producer End Commissions Dispute
- Wil Wheaton Blogs His Syfy Show Is Toast
- Miranda Mayo Joins 'Pretty Little Liars'; Samm Levine In 'Selfie'