The SAG Awards announced today that Rita Moreno has been named the 50th recipient of SAG-AFTRA’s highest tribute – the SAG Life Achievement Award for career achievement and humanitarian accomplishment. Given annually to an actor who fosters the “finest ideals of the acting profession”, the union’s top accolade will be given out at the 20th Annual Screen Actors Guild Awards simulcast live on TNT and TBS on January 18, 2014. The actress, singer, dancer, author, political and cultural and diversity activist and educator also has won an Oscar, two Emmys, a Tony, a Grammy, the Presidential Medal of Freedom, and the National Medal of the Arts. At age 81, the Puerto Rican-born Moreno has had a nearly 70-year career and currently plays Fran Drescher’s mother in TV Land’s Happily Divorced and recently wrote her autobiography Rita Moreno: A Memoir which became a 2013 bestseller.
Rita Moreno To Receive Life Achievement Award During 2014 SAG Awards
Trending Now on Deadline
Ryan Murphy & His 'Glee' Co-Creators Get Fox Series Order For Comedy-Horror Anthology 'Scream Queens'
Alamo Drafthouse's Tim League: Make A Place For Christopher Nolan, Quentin Tarantino, And Film Stock In Digital Future
More From Team
- UPDATE: Hollywood Reactions, R.I.P. Fashion Designer Oscar De La Renta, Dead At 82
- Lucas Hedges & Penn Badgley Join 'The Slap' Miniseries On NBC; 'Full Circle' Sets Cast
- 'Gold Rush' 5th Season Debut Hits Ratings Motherlode For Discovery
- OSCARS: Eight Documentary Shorts On 2014 Shortlist
- Roger Howarth Joins 'The Flash'; Ryan Hurst In 'Bates Motel'
- Disney Animation Unveils 'Moana' From 'Little Mermaid' Filmmakers For November 2016