EXCLUSIVE: Relativity has acquired worldwide distribution rights to Echo, an adventure film that was developed and shot by Disney. The film didn’t fit the Mouse’s release strategy, and producer Andrew Panay brought it to Relativity president Tucker Tooley and production president Robbie Brenner. They’ve completed the deal to get the film out of Disney and have already set Echo for release on January 10, 2014. The film stars Astro (from X Factor) and a cast of up and comers that includes Teo Halm, Reese C. Hartwig and Ella Wahlestedt. The logline: After a construction project begins digging up their neighborhood, a group of friends begin receiving strange encoded messages on their cell phones. After being rebuffed by parents and authorities, they take it upon themselves to investigate the source of the messages. Dave Green made his directing debut on a Henry Gayden script. Panay produced and Relativity CEO Ryan Kavanaugh and Tooley are exec producers. That gives Relativity another film after a busy next few months that starts with the August 16 release of Paranoia; the Luc Besson film The Family on September 13; Joe Gordon-Levitt’s directing debut Don Jon which just got a berth in Toronto before its September 27 release; the Jimmy Hayward-directed Free Birds out on November 1; and the Scott Cooper-directed Out Of The Furnace, which gets released November 27. That film stars Christian Bale, Zoe Saldana, Woody Harrelson and Casey Affleck.
Relativity Acquires ‘Echo’ From Disney
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Fleming Jr
- Does TV Hurt Movie Careers? 'True Detective's Matthew McConaughey Coveted For 'The Stand' And 'Gold'
- Tobey Maguire's Material Signs Oscar Sharp To Blind Deal Off Short Pic 'The Karman Line'
- Circle Of Confusion's Brad Mendelsohn To Head Lit Department
- Andrew Dominik To Script 'Shaolin Temple' For Helmer Justin Lin
- Brad Grey Takes ALS Plunge With Help From Johnny Knoxville
- EMMYS: Deadline's Live-Blog Special Guest: 'Sons Of Anarchy' Creator Kurt Sutter