Dennis Farina, the former Chicago cop turned movie and TV tough guy has died in Arizona, according to his publicist. He was 69. The cause of death was not released. Best known for his co-starring role as Det Joe Fontana on NBC’s Law & Order, Executive producer Dick Wolf issued this statement: “I was stunned and saddened to hear about Dennis’ unexpected passing this morning. The Law & Order family extends sympathy and condolences to his family. He was a great guy.” Farina starred in at least 75 movies or television series but did not start acting until he was 37 years old. He served on the Chicago Police Department for 18 years before coming to Hollywood’s attention as a police consultant for Michael Mann. Farina proceeded to moonlight among the Chicago theater scene until Mann used him to portray a memorable mobster in Miami Vice. From there, Mann chose Farina to star in the high-profile but short-lived Vegas period series Crime Story and again as an FBI agent in Mann’s Hannibal Lecter feature film Manhunter. From then on, the character actor with the husky voice and craggy looks would play primarily mobsters, cops, feds, or very strict and scary fathers. He was equally comfortable in drama (Steven Spielberg’s Saving Private Ryan and HBO’s Luck directed by Mann) as comedy (Midnight Run, and opposite Bette Midler in That Old Feeling and a recurring role on the Fox sitcom New Girl).
R.I.P. Dennis Farina
What's Hot on Deadline
Sarah Silverman Calls Fellow Bernie Sanders Supporters "Ridiculous"; Al Franken Rips Donald Trump At DNC - Update
DNC Gavels In As Talk Swirls Of Bernie Sanders' Name Being Put In Nomination; Ohio Rep. Made Convention Chair
'Star Trek' TV Reboot Title & Teaser Unveiled At Comic-Con; New Series "Won't Be Episodic", Bryan Fuller Says
Sable Ranch, Popular Film & TV Location, Destroyed By Wildfire; Disney's Golden Oak Ranch "OK", LAFD Says - Update
Latest Film News
- Festival Fever Begins: Will ‘Magnificent Seven’ Saddle Up As Toronto Opener?
- ‘Indignation’ Review: Ex-Focus Boss James Schamus’ Directorial Debut Is Exceptional
- Disney Unveils ‘Moana’ Details After Tease At Comic-Con
- Hollywood Has Collected More Than $860M In Foreign Levies
- ‘Star Trek Beyond’ Launches To $59M; ‘Lights Out’ Electrifies; ‘Ice Age’ Tepid; ‘Ghostbusters’ No Cinderella Story – Box…
- ‘Soul On Bikes’ About African-American Biker Gang Picked Up For Film Adaptation