EXCLUSIVE: Warner Bros has bragging rights today for distributing the Legendary Pictures 3D scifi actioner around the world after co-financing it. I’ve learned the studio discovered this morning that last weekend’s results came in $500K higher than forecast on Sunday. The result is that screenwriter Travis Beacham (who had the idea for the film) and co-scribe/director Guillermo Del Toro’s Pacific Rim grossed $35.3M with 4.7M admissions from 9,610 screens in 50 territories. That was just enough to knock off Universal’s 3D toon Despicable Me 2 and become the #1 film internationally over the weekend now that all the numbers are in. No one is saying this movie is going to turn a profit due to its high cost Industrial Light & Magic CGI. But international is a big part of Pacific Rim‘s strategy in a crowded summer marketplace. This brings the expensive $180M-$220M budget pic’s international cume to $110.9M and its worldwide total to $178.5M. Unfortunately, U.S. theatrical sales are not expected to exceed $100M all in so overseas coin is crucial. As I’ve said before, while a major studio might be disappointed with Pacific Rim‘s domestic gross, Legendary’s mega-financier Thomas Tull may have the luxury of mining this marginal outcome into a franchise. Foreign territories for Pacific Rim opening last weekend included France, Germany, Hong Kong, and Holland. The movie already has debuted in major markets Russia, Korea, Mexico, UK, Australia, and Italy. Upcoming releases include July 31st for China, Spain, Japan, and August 9th for Brazil.
‘Pacific Rim’ #1 Internationally Over Weekend
What's Hot on Deadline
Oprah Winfrey Answers Call & Joins Clooneys, Katzenbergs, Spielberg And Capshaw In Donating $500,000 To March For Our Lives: Who's Next?
'Black Panther' Director Ryan Coogler Writes Letter Of Gratitude After Film's Record-Breaking Weekend
Donald Trump Unleashes Base On Jeff Sessions With Tweet Demanding DOJ Investigate Obama In Russia Probe
Ousted Weinstein Company COO David Glasser To File $85M Lawsuit Against Board Members, Alleging He Has Been Made A Scapegoat
Latest Film News
- Hollywood, Beltway Send Support & Awe To Florida Student Protesters: “You’ve Shaken Up The Nation”
- Lupita Nyong'o To Star In ‘Born A Crime’ Based On Trevor Noah’s Memoir
- Cinedigm Acquires Eric Stoltz-Helmed ‘Class Rank’ For May Release
- ‘Mudbound’ Cinematographer Rachel Morrison Makes Oscar History, Capturing Filmic Look Through Digital Processes
- How A Danny Boyle-Directed James Bond Film Could Happen: Think ‘Trainspotting’ Reunion
- Global Scam Ravaging Hollywood: Silver-Tongued Imposter Poses As Top Female Producers To Catfish Victims