It’s a big boost for the London-based maker of the song identification smartphone app. Shazam says the $40 million investment from Carlos Slim‘s America Movil will help accelerate its ongoing growth in music, continued expansion into television and new product development. The deal includes an agreement to pre-install Shazam on mobile phones sold in Latin America, Shazam Executive Chairman Andrew Fisher told Bloomberg. Shazam uses algorithms to analyze unique elements of music to help users identify the title and other information. An acoustic fingerprint is created based on a sample taken from the phone’s microphone and is compared against a central database for a match. If a match is found, the app identifies information such as the artist, song title, and album. Shazam has over 70 million monthly users, according to the company.
Media Mogul Carlos Slim Invests $40M In Shazam
What's Hot on Deadline
'Black Panther' Keeps B.O. Treasure From 'Tomb Raider'; How 'I Can Only Imagine' Hit A $17M High Note
Ellen Barkin Says "Never Get Into An Elevator Alone With Terry Gilliam" After His Criticism Of #MeToo Movement
'SNL': Anderson Cooper Addresses White House Firings; John Goodman & Fred Armisen Make Surprise Visits
'Avengers: Infinity War' Already The Best-Selling Superhero Movie In Advance Ticket Sales, Beating 'Black Panther'
'SNL' Imagines #MeToo Apology Spree By "Canada's Harvey Weinstein," Trots Out Impressions In 'Jurassic Park' Auditions
Director Terry Gilliam Says #MeToo "Got Silly", "Monster" Harvey Weinstein "Opened The Door" For Some
Latest TV News
- ‘Saturday Night Live’ Ratings Rise With Host Bill Hader
- ‘SNL’ Imagines #MeToo Apology Spree By “Canada’s Harvey Weinstein,” Trots Out Impressions In ‘Jurassic…
- Paramount’s ‘Dora The Explorer’ Movie Set For Australia Shoot After Tax Break Concession
- ‘SNL’: Anderson Cooper Addresses White House Firings; John Goodman & Fred Armisen Make Surprise Visits
- ‘Will & Grace’ Cast React To Season 3 Renewal; Talk Favorite Guest Stars
- ‘Will & Grace’ Revival Renewed For Season 3 By NBC, Season 2 Expanded