EXCLUSIVE: Having just signed on to two new indie roles earlier this month, Mary Elizabeth Winstead has further added to her dance card and joined the Michael Cuesta-helmed Kill The Messenger. The actress will play Dawn Garcia in the true-story thriller about journalist Gary Webb and his suicide after being smeared for stories he wrote linking the CIA to a scheme to arm Contra rebels in Nicaragua and import cocaine into California. Winstead’s character is the editor of the San Jose Mercury News, where Webb worked. The Avengers’ Jeremy Renner plays Webb. Rosemarie DeWitt is also in the film as is Barry Pepper. Peter Landesman wrote the screenplay for the pic, to which Focus Features picked up worldwide rights ahead of Berlin. Scott Stuber’s Bluegrass Films is producing with Landesman, Renner and Naomi Despres. Winstead is repped by WME, Anonymous Content, and Jackoway Tyerman Wertheimer Austen Mandelbaum Morris & Klein.
Mary Elizabeth Winstead Joins ‘Kill The Messenger’
What's Hot on Deadline
Peter Jackson & Fran Walsh Rev 'Mortal Engines'; Directing Debut For 'Hobbit' VFX Protege Christian Rivers
Bernie Sanders: Obama Administration "Should Kill" The AT&T-Time Warner Deal: "Higher Prices & Fewer Choices"
Latest Film News
- Aardman, Studiocanal Reunite Flock For ‘Shaun The Sheep Movie 2’ – AFM
- ‘American Pastoral’ Review: Ewan McGregor’s Directorial Debut Deserves A Better Reception
- Warner Bros Sues Innovative Artists For Oscar Screener Piracy Of ‘Creed’ + More
- EuropaCorp Boards English-Language Remake of Japanese Thriller 'Shield of Straw'
- ‘The Conjuring’s Hayes Brothers Writing Duo Sign With CAA
- ‘Madea Halloween’ Gets $28.5M Treat, ‘Jack Reacher,’ $22.8M, ‘Ouija’ Grabs $14M, ‘Joneses’ Tanks…