The Justin Chadwick-directed Mandela: Long Walk To Freedom stars Idris Elba as the South African icon. Naomie Harris plays his former wife, Winnie. The Weinstein Co. screened footage of the film in Cannes where Harvey Weinstein promised it is not an ordinary biopic. It tells the story of Mandela’s life, from his childhood in a rural village through to his inauguration as the first democratically elected President of South Africa. (Mandela was recently admitted to a Pretoria hospital and remains there in critical, but stable condition, the government said this week.) The film goes out in limited release in the U.S. on November 29. Below is the first teaser for the film; it’s a UK version so it’s tagged with a January 3 date:
Hot Teaser: ‘Mandela: Long Walk To Freedom’
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Team
- Ving Rhames Boards 'Operator'; 'Threshold' Ramps Up; Five Join 'Clavius'
- Boston Teamsters' 'Top Chef' Threats Become Statewide Campaign Issue
- Olafur Darri Olafsson Joins AMC Comedy Pilot 'We Hate Paul Revere'; Shohreh Aghdashloo & Steven Strait In 'The Expanse'
- Sundance Institute Taps Pair To Lead Its New Frontier Program
- A24, DirecTV Acquire Liam Hemsworth Thriller 'Cut Bank'
- Jeffrey Katzenberg Accepts Deadline's ALS Ice Bucket Challenge: Video