EXCLUSIVE: The creative team is in place to turn the hit stripper film into Magic Mike, The Musical on Broadway. The producers have set Tom Kitt and Brian Yorkey to write the songs, and Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa to write the book, based on the Steven Soderbergh-directed film that was informed by Channing Tatum‘s early days as a male stripper. They’ve gotten top-shelf talent. Kitt and Yorkey are the creators of the Tony- and Pulitzer-winning Next To Normal, and the upcoming If/Then, starring Idina Menzel. Aguirre-Sacasa recently co-wrote the book for Spider Man: Turn Off The Dark and helped turn things around when there was nothing but bad news on that musical and performers were dropping like flies from the complicated rigging. Aguirre-Sacasa also has written the book of the upcoming American Psycho Musical that Duncan Sheik that will premiere in London later this year. Magic Mike, The Musical is being produced by Soderbergh, Tatum, Reid Carolin, Gregory Jacobs, and Nick Wechsler. The show was put together by WME. The group is fast tracking the project to the stage while also prepping starting the ball rolling on a sequel to the 2012 Magic Mike film. Soderbergh and Yorkey are repped by Anonymous Content. This goes down as one huge success, no matter how the stage incarnation works out. It started modestly, after Tatum played a role in the Soderbergh-directed action film Haywire. They got to talking, Tatum told him about this movie idea, and Soderbergh and he hatched a plan where they put up the financing themselves. They took a risk, certainly, but Soderbergh told me at Cannes that when all the monies are counted, the result likely will be his most lucrative feature.
‘Magic Mike’ Musical Stripping Way To Broadway With Top Creative Team
What's Hot on Deadline
Latest Film News
- ‘Star Trek Beyond’ Flying To Decent $60.3M: But Why Is Opening Lower Than ‘Into Darkness’?
- Noureen DeWulf Books Three Film Roles; Hannah Rose May Joins ‘The Recall’
- Joss Whedon’s Sermon On The Con: “The Dialogue Between Audiences And Studios Is Defaulting”
- RealD's 3D Projection Patents Upheld By U.S. International Trade Org
- Life After ‘Orphan Black’? Tatiana Maslany & Creators Discuss – Comic-Con
- Mark Boal Decries Military “Fishing Expedition” In Bowe Bergdahl Case