This dispute doesn’t have the titan-vs-titan glamour of Time Warner Cable‘s fight with CBS — where negotiators gave themselves until Monday to agree on retransmission consent terms. But it’s important to a little more than 500,000 Time Warner Cable customers who today find themselves without Journal Communications‘ NBC programming in Milwaukee, Green Bay, and Palm Springs; and CBS in Omaha. (TWC systems lost MyNetworkTV in Green Bay and Palm Springs on July 10; the larger stations are covered by an FCC rule that bars pay TV providers from dropping major outlets during a sweeps month.) The companies warned last month that a blackout could take place. The debate revolves around positions that are familiar to anyone who follows retransmission consent impasses. Time Warner Cable says that it is taking a stand against “unreasonable fee increases because we don’t think it’s fair for customers to pay such a huge increase for programming that is delivered for free via an antenna, and online.” And the broadcaster says that TWC “actually sends less than 1% of what you pay each month to Journal Broadcast Group. Ask Time Warner Cable to explain where the other 99% of your monthly payment goes.” The cable company accounts for about 22% of Journal Communications’ viewers, according to SNL Kagan.
Journal Communications Stations Go Dark On Time Warner Cable
What's Hot on Deadline
'Black Panther' Keeps B.O. Treasure From 'Tomb Raider'; How 'I Can Only Imagine' Hit A $17M High Note
Ellen Barkin Says "Never Get Into An Elevator Alone With Terry Gilliam" After His Criticism Of #MeToo Movement
'SNL': Anderson Cooper Addresses White House Firings; John Goodman & Fred Armisen Make Surprise Visits
'Avengers: Infinity War' Already The Best-Selling Superhero Movie In Advance Ticket Sales, Beating 'Black Panther'
'SNL' Imagines #MeToo Apology Spree By "Canada's Harvey Weinstein," Trots Out Impressions In 'Jurassic Park' Auditions
Director Terry Gilliam Says #MeToo "Got Silly", "Monster" Harvey Weinstein "Opened The Door" For Some
Latest Business News
- The Roots Cancel SXSW Concert After Bomb Threat
- Ellen Barkin Says “Never Get Into An Elevator Alone With Terry Gilliam” After His Criticism Of #MeToo Movement
- Kathy Griffin Comeback Show At Carnegie Hall Nearly Sells Out In A Day
- Trump-Linked Cambridge Analytica Stole Data From 50M Facebook Users And “Targeted Their Inner Demons”…
- Charlize Theron Says Arming Teachers With Guns Is “So Outrageous”
- Attorney General Jeff Sessions Fires FBI Deputy Director Andrew McCabe