EXCLUSIVE: The debut directorial effort from The Daily Show host has added an Emmy winner and Oscar nominee to its cast. Shohreh Aghdashloo will play Moloojoon Bahari, the mother of the journalist played by Gael Garcia Bernal, in the Jon Stewart-helmed and -written Rosewater. Preparing to shoot in Jordan, the film is based on the 2011 memoir Then They Came for Me: A Family’s Story Of Love, Captivity, And Survival by Maziar Bahari. Scott Rudin is producing with Stewart and Gigi Pritzker. Pritzker’s OddLot Entertainment is financing. Primarily based in Canada, the Iranian-born Bahari traveled to his native country to cover the disputed 2009 Presidential election only to find himself imprisoned by the authorities for 118 days. He was arrested in his mother’s Teheran home on June 21, 2009. Iranian-born Aghdashloo was nominated for a Best Supporting Actress Academy Award in 2003 for her performance in House Of Sand And Fog. As well as appearing in other features such as 2006’s X-Men: The Last Stand and TV series such 24, Mob Doctor and Grimm, Aghdashloo won an Outstanding Supporting Actress, Miniseries or Movie Emmy for her role as the Iraqi dictator’s wife in 2008’s House Of Saddam. The actress, a public advocate for human rights in Iran, is repped by CAA in the U.S., Roger Charteris in the UK and managed by Roundtable Entertainment.
Shohreh Aghdashloo Joins Jon Stewart’s ‘Rosewater’
What's Hot on Deadline
'Pacific Rim: Uprising' Doesn't Create Waves At $26M+; 'Black Panther' Sets Marvel Record & Beats 'Avengers'
Latest Film News
- ‘Billions’ Actor David Costabile To Play Doc McGhee In ‘The Dirt’
- Arnon Milchan & Regency Countersued For Fraud Over Warren Beatty’s ‘Rules Don’t Apply’
- ‘Scandal’s Darby Stanchfield & Daisy Prescott Cast In ‘Justine’
- Tiffany Haddish Will Give Voice To ‘Lego Movie’ Sequel Character
- ‘Hunter Killer,’ Starring Gerard Butler & Gary Oldman, Pegged For October Release
- Female Directors Scorecard: Sony’s ‘Barbie,’ ‘Charlie’s Angels’ And More