Johnny Depp is in negotiations for the lead role in Lionsgate‘s Mortdecai, an adaptation of the 1970s novels by Kyril Bonfiglioli. David Koepp is set to direct from Eric Aronson’s script. Depp would play the role of debonair art dealer and part-time rogue Charles Mortdecai. As one of Hollywood’s most bankable stars, Depp frequently falls in and out of projects. As recently as May 30, he exited the Barry Levinson-directed Black Mass, the story of Whitey Bulger. He’s currently onscreen in Disney’s The Lone Ranger and is wrapping Wally Pfister’s directorial debut Transcendence. Koepp and Depp worked together on the director’s Secret Window in 2004 and were teamed to reboot The Thin Man at Warner Bros before that project was put on the back burner.
Johnny Depp Circles Lead Role In David Koepp’s ‘Mortdecai’
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Team
- Steven Weber To Guest Star On Showtime's 'House Of Lies'
- Discovery Life Channel Sets 'The Mistress' Series
- ITV Accused Of Unfair Labor Practices By WGA East
- 'CNN Original' Roger Strauss Retires; Directed Tiananmen Square Live Coverage
- Ellen Barkin To Guest Star In Showtime's 'Happyish' Pilot
- Brenton Thwaites Boards 'Pirates 5′ Ship For Disney