EXCLUSIVE: Spoofmeisters Jason Friedberg and Aaron Seltzer (Scary Movie, Epic Movie, Date Movie) will be back with more pop culture parodying this fall, thanks to Ketchup Entertainment. The financing firm and newbie distributors have acquired Hunger Games satire The Starving Games for a November 8 theatrical release. Timing puts the Friedberg/Seltzer comedy in theaters just ahead of Lionsgate‘s The Hunger Games: Catching Fire which debuts November 22. Maiara Walsh (Desperate Housewives, Switched at Birth), Cody Christian (Pretty Little Liars), Lauren Bowles (True Blood), Brant Daugherty (Pretty Little Liars), and Diedrich Bader (Napoleon Dynamite) star in the pic which is written and directed by Jason Friedberg and Aaron Seltzer. The Safran Company financed and produced The Starving Games, which follows a young girl named Kantmiss as she participates in a barbaric annual competition against fellow youngsters. As with all Friedberg & Seltzer parodies, the pic will also take aim at other pop culture phenomenons including The Avengers, Sherlock Holmes, Harry Potter, Psy, and Taylor Swift. Ketchup Entertainment’s Gareth West and Head of Acquisitions Stephen Stanley negotiated the deal with UTA’s Rena Ronson. K5 reps international rights. Meanwhile, Friedberg and Seltzer are also working on a Fast & Furious spoof entitled Superfast!
‘Hunger Games’ Spoof ‘The Starving Games’ Sets November Release Ahead Of ‘Catching Fire’
What's Hot on Deadline
Bravo Renews & Expands 'Southern Charm', Sets More 'Shahs Of Sunset' & 'Million Dollar Listing New York'
Latest Film News
- Oscars: Feature Documentary Submissions Unveiled; 145 In Mix
- Sharon Tate Biopic In Works With Kate Bosworth To Star
- Potential Oscar Sleeper ‘Patriots Day’ Lands AFI Fest Closing-Night Slot
- Casey Affleck Writing & Staring In ‘Villain’, Directed By Swedish Helmer Mikael Marcimain
- Rebecca Ferguson Set To Star In ‘The Lady And The Panda’ – AFM
- Starz CFO Scott Macdonald To Leave In Reorganization After Sale To Lionsgate