EXCLUSIVE: Spoofmeisters Jason Friedberg and Aaron Seltzer (Scary Movie, Epic Movie, Date Movie) will be back with more pop culture parodying this fall, thanks to Ketchup Entertainment. The financing firm and newbie distributors have acquired Hunger Games satire The Starving Games for a November 8 theatrical release. Timing puts the Friedberg/Seltzer comedy in theaters just ahead of Lionsgate‘s The Hunger Games: Catching Fire which debuts November 22. Maiara Walsh (Desperate Housewives, Switched at Birth), Cody Christian (Pretty Little Liars), Lauren Bowles (True Blood), Brant Daugherty (Pretty Little Liars), and Diedrich Bader (Napoleon Dynamite) star in the pic which is written and directed by Jason Friedberg and Aaron Seltzer. The Safran Company financed and produced The Starving Games, which follows a young girl named Kantmiss as she participates in a barbaric annual competition against fellow youngsters. As with all Friedberg & Seltzer parodies, the pic will also take aim at other pop culture phenomenons including The Avengers, Sherlock Holmes, Harry Potter, Psy, and Taylor Swift. Ketchup Entertainment’s Gareth West and Head of Acquisitions Stephen Stanley negotiated the deal with UTA’s Rena Ronson. K5 reps international rights. Meanwhile, Friedberg and Seltzer are also working on a Fast & Furious spoof entitled Superfast!
‘Hunger Games’ Spoof ‘The Starving Games’ Sets November Release Ahead Of ‘Catching Fire’
What's Hot on Deadline
Latest Film News
- Universal Changes ‘Pitch Perfect 3’ Release Date Again; ‘Girl Trip’ Moves In
- Weinstein Company Blasts Open Road & ‘Little Prince’ Producers Over $35M ‘Playmobil…
- ‘Rogue One’: Re-Shoots But No Test Screening; Release Date Not Impacted
- Viacom Watchers Wonder: Who’d Step In If Sumner Redstone Cleans House?
- Cate Blanchett’s Broadway Debut With Chekhovian ‘The Present’ Sets House & Cast
- WGA West Pencils In $4 Million Surplus For Fiscal 2016