The 23rd annual Gotham Independent Film Awards have been set for December 2 at Cipriani Wall Street in New York. Nominees will be announced on October 24 with the deadline for submissions September 20. Traditionally the first awards show of the Oscar season, the Gothams, presented by IFP, are adding two new categories this year: Best Actor and Best Actress. Among the organization’s unique categories is The Breakthrough Director Award, now called the Bingham Ray Breakthrough Director Award after the late indie film exec. Last year, Wes Anderson’s Moonrise Kingdom won Best Picture and Beasts Of The Southern Wild helmer Benh Zeitlin won the breakthrough director honor; both got Oscar love later in the year.
Gotham Awards Set For December 2 With New Actor Categories
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Team
- UPDATE: Teresa Palmer Joins Benjamin Walker In 'The Choice', Nicholas Sparks Adaptation From Lionsgate
- Showtime Casts Rachel Bloom's 'Crazy Ex-Girlfriend' Pilot; Dominic Cooper Joins 'Marvel's Agent Carter'
- Fox News Channel Tops Cable Primetime Ratings In Third Quarter
- Alec Baldwin & Kevin Spacey To Star In 'Boss Baby' For DreamWorks Animation; Three Join 'A Monster Calls'
- Tracy Morgan Blasts Walmart After Retailer Blames Him For Not Wearing Seatbelt When Driver Rear-Ended His Limo
- 'Tonight Show' Heading To Phoenix For Post-Super Bowl Broadcast