Can this stunt help goose The Lone Ranger‘s lackluster box office? Disney and Britain’s Sky are partnering to film a live 3-minute TV ad for the movie featuring stars Johnny Depp and Armie Hammer at the July 21 UK premiere. The spot will be broadcast exclusively across 11 Sky channels starting at 5:56 PM that day. Calling it a “film industry first” the partners said Depp and Hammer will be interviewed by Sky Movies’ Alex Zane for the live promo. Fans are being asked to submit questions via Twitter to @skymovies using the hashtag #lonerangerpremiere by 12:00 on July 18. The Lone Ranger opened Stateside on July 3 earning about $49M over the 5-day 4th of July holiday. As of July 14, it had taken $119M worldwide in 34 territories. It hits the UK on August 9.
Disney, Sky To Stage Live UK TV Ad To Stump For ‘The Lone Ranger’
What's Hot on Deadline
More From Tartaglione
- Maggie Smith Hints At ‘Downton Abbey’ Departure
- Combined Endemol Shine Distribution Entity Gets Name; Exec Team Outlined
- UK Checks Into ‘Marigold Hotel 2′; ‘Fifty Shades’ Bound To Top Spot – Intl B.O. Update
- ’50 Shades’ Now Uni’s Biggest R-Rated Film Overseas; Nears $500M Global B.O.
- Darrin Prescott & Wade Allen ‘Live!’ In Feature Helming Debut For The Solution
- ‘Spectre’ Director Sam Mendes On Why He Came Back To Bond After ‘Skyfall’