Everyone knows just how nasty the movie business is. So while Hollywood enjoys the box office bombing of The Lone Ranger, Disney today becomes the first studio to reach $1B at the domestic box office this year. It’s the 8th year in a row that the studio has passed that threshold. Results have been driven primarily by three pics: Iron Man 3 ($406M), Oz The Great And Powerful ($235M), and the Pixar prequel Monsters University ($225M in three weeks and passing box office milestones faster than any Pixar film except Toy Story 3). What’s most impressive is that those three films have racked up over $2B globally so far. The Lone Ranger is only Disney’s 4th release this year, and six more are on the schedule. That’s an ultra-light release year by any standard. But still to come are another Marvel sequel, Thor: The Dark World, two more animated Disney films including the tentpole Frozen, two DreamWorks pics, and Saving Mr. Banks (whose trailer was just released yesterday).
Disney First Studio To Reach $1B At 2013 Domestic Box Office Despite ‘Lone Ranger’
What's Hot on Deadline
Sarah Silverman Calls Fellow Bernie Sanders Supporters "Ridiculous"; Al Franken Rips Donald Trump At DNC - Update
DNC Gavels In As Talk Swirls Of Bernie Sanders' Name Being Put In Nomination; Ohio Rep. Made Convention Chair
Toronto To Open With 'The Magnificent Seven'; 'La La Land', 'Deepwater Horizon' Among Galas & Presentations
Latest Box Office News
- ‘Cats’ Ticket Sales Purring; ‘Motown The Musical’ Hits Sour Note – Broadway Box Office
- ‘Star Trek Beyond’ Launches To $59M; ‘Lights Out’ Electrifies; ‘Ice Age’ Tepid; ‘Ghostbusters’ No Cinderella Story – Box Office…
- ‘Star Trek Beyond’ $30M Debut; ‘Lights Out’ $8.5M; Jackie Chan’s ‘Skiptrace’ Nails $64M Bow – Int’l Box Office…
- Jackie Chan-Starring ‘Skiptrace’ Bows Big In China With $62M+ Debut
- Mike Birbiglia's 'Don't Think Twice' Tops $90K In Exclusive Run; 'Hillary's America' Grabs $3.7M: Specialty Box Office
- ‘Star Trek Beyond’ Flying To Decent $59.6M: But Why Is It Lower Than ‘Into Darkness’?