This is a big step in Disney‘s effort to bring its TV Everywhere app to all of the markets where it owns TV stations, and to Hearst’s 13 ABC affiliates, by the beginning of the fall primetime season. WATCH ABC, which enables pay TV subscribers to stream live broadcasts from their local ABC stations, is already available in New York City and Philadelphia. Beginning today Disney’s expanding the service to Los Angeles, Chicago, San Francisco, and Raleigh-Durham. It’s not for everybody, and doesn’t go everywhere: Users need to be customers of Comcast, Cablevision, Cox Communications, Charter Communications, Midcontinent Communications or AT&T U-verse. The app works on iOS mobile devices and the Kindle Fire — as well as some Android tablets including the Samsung Galaxy. You have to be in the local market to see the live, linear programming although travelers can access on demand some episodes of ABC’s daytime and primetime shows. The service should be up soon at the ABC-owned stations in Houston and Fresno; Hearst’s 13 ABC markets include Boston, Pittsburgh, Kansas City and Milwaukee. Disney says that it expects to announce additional agreements with station owners as the fall season begins.
Disney Brings ‘WATCH ABC’ App To Four Cities Including L.A.
What's Hot on Deadline
Latest Business News
- Wanda Acquires China’s Leading Movie Portal Mtime For $350 Million
- NBCU Finishes Upfront Ad Sales With Double Digit Pricing Gains, Execs Say
- Berlusconi And Bollore Face Off As Vivendi Looks To Change Terms Of Mediaset Pay TV Deal
- Comcast Tops Analysts’ Q2 Expectations Despite Film Studio Downturn
- Warner Bros Japan Names Masami Takahashi As President
- Meryl Streep Tells DNC About Hillary Clinton & Other Pioneering Women: “Grit And Grace”