The 66th annual DGA Awards were already set for January 25, 2014. Two new categories were unveiled today — Variety/Talk/News/Sports-Regularly Scheduled Programming and Variety/Talk/News/Sports-Specials — along with the timeline. In addition, programs created for the Internet are now eligible in eight categories. Here’s the guild’s full release:
Los Angeles — The DGA announced today the awards schedule for the 66th Annual DGA Awards, the addition of two new Awards, the inclusion of programs created for the Internet in eight categories and additional rule changes. These changes will be implemented for the upcoming 66th Annual DGA Awards, to be held on Saturday, January 25, 2014 at the Hyatt Regency Century Plaza.
66th Annual Awards Schedule
DGA members can vote online between December 3, 2013 – January 6, 2014 for Feature Film Nominations; between December 16, 2013– January 7, 2014 for Television Nominations in five categories; and between January 8, 2014– January 24, 2014 for the Feature Film Final Ballot. Complete schedule detailed below. As successfully instituted last year, all voting will continue to take place online only. The DGA will also continue to allow Feature Film screeners to be distributed to members for Awards consideration.
New DGA Awards
The two newly-created DGA Awards are Variety/Talk/News/Sports – Regularly Scheduled Programming and Variety/Talk/News/Sports – Specials.
The Variety/Talk/News/Sports – Regularly Scheduled Programming Award includes regularly scheduled Variety programs (such as Saturday Night Live, American Idol or So You Think You Can Dance?); Talk Shows (such as Ellen, The Daily Show with Jon Stewart, or Late Show with David Letterman); News Broadcasts (such as ABC Nightly News, Dateline NBC, or CBS Evening News) and Sports Broadcasts (such as a nationally broadcasted NFL or NBA game, golf tournament or NASCAR race). All entries in this category must be an episode of an ongoing, regularly scheduled program.
The Variety/Talk/News/Sports – Specials Award includes non-regularly scheduled Variety Specials (such as the Academy Awards, Emmy Awards, or concert specials); News Specials (such as a Presidential Inauguration or a Barbara Walters Special); Sports Specials (such as The Super Bowl, Indianapolis 500 or The World Series.)
The National Board voted to create these new Awards to recognize the important work of our directors and their teams in News and Sports programming along with other live and live-to-tape television programming. Because directing a regularly scheduled live television program poses different challenges in time and scale than directing a once-a-year special, the National Board voted to create two separate awards representing live television directing. These two awards replace the previous Musical Variety Award which contained both individual series episodes and specials in the same category.
Internet Programming Eligibility
In recognition of the increasing level of original programming being created by our directors and their teams specifically for Internet distribution, the National Board has determined that programs made for Internet distribution in the following eight categories are now eligible for nomination: Dramatic Series; Comedy Series; Movies for Television and Mini-Series; Variety/Talk/News/Sports – Regularly Scheduled Programming; Variety/Talk/News/Sports – Specials; Documentary; Reality; and Children’s Programming. The Commercials Award category has included commercials specifically made for the Internet since 2007 and will continue to do so. All programs created for the Internet must be covered by a DGA Agreement and be directed by a DGA Director. All categories except Commercials require that a made for the Internet program submitted for awards consideration to be at least a half-hour in length. Exact program length required is determined by the rules in each individual category.
Additional Awards Changes
The National Board has determined that all dramatic scripted programming that is part of a series, including daytime serials, will be incorporated in the Dramatic Series Award category. This decision was made in recognition that scripted dramatic series are now programmed beyond ‘prime-time’ and that with the increase in series programming created for Internet distribution without set times for viewing, the definition of what is a dramatic series has fundamentally shifted. In addition, because of the compression of entries over the past few years in the Daytime Serials Award category, the National Board elected to merge this category into Dramatic Series.
These are the first additions to the DGA Awards since the introduction of the Reality Award Category in 2005. The National Board of Directors voted to create the new awards and make the additional rules modifications at its June 22, 2013 National Board meeting.
Complete DGA Awards Schedule
FEATURE FILM AWARD
· Online voting for Feature Film Nominations opens Tuesday, December 3, 2013
· Deadline to vote online for Feature Film Nominations Monday, January 6, 2014
· Announce Five Feature Film Nominees Tuesday, January 7, 2014
· Online voting for Feature Film Award opens Wednesday, January 8, 2014
· Membership Screening of Five Nominated Feature Films Mon-Fri, January 13-17, 2014
· Deadline to vote online for Feature Film Award Friday, January 24, 2014
· Entry Forms for TV & Commercials available online Monday, October 14, 2013
· Deadline for Submitting Television and Commercials entries Monday, December 9, 2013
· Online voting for Television Nominations opens Monday, December 16, 2013
· Deadline to vote online for Television Nominations Tuesday, January 7, 2014
· Announce all Television and Commercial Nominees Thursday, January 9, 2014
· Entry Form for Documentary available online Monday, September 9, 2013
· Email Doc Entry Forms to all Theatrical Distributors, Broadcast Monday, September 9, 2013
Networks and past entrants
Documentary Entry Forms and DVD Submissions:
· For Doc. entries with a theatrical release or broadcast during the period of January 1 through September 30, 2013, the deadline is: Friday, October 4, 2013
· For Doc. entries with a theatrical release or broadcast during the period of October 1 through December 31, 2013, the deadline is: Friday, November 1, 2013
· Announce Documentary Nominees Monday, January 13, 2014
66th ANNUAL AWARDS DINNER
· Mail Dinner Reservation Forms Thursday, December 5, 2013
· Deadline for Returning All Dinner Reservation Forms Friday, January 17, 2014
· DGA Awards Dinner Saturday, January 25, 2014, Hyatt Regency Century Plaza