Get ready for a free-for-all over one of the summer’s most highly sought after videos: Paula Deen‘s racially insensitive comments from a May deposition — part of a suit by a former Deen employee who charged that she saw multiple instances of racial and sexual discrimination. The leaked written transcript of the celebrity chef’s comments helped to upend her business empire including her affiliation with the Food Network. But the U.S. District Court for Southern Georgia this week returned the video to the plaintiff’s lawyers. It accepted the video on May 30 because “the written transcript of that deposition was not available at that time,” a July 10 note by court clerk Scott Poff says. Since the transcript was filed on June 11, “the Court’s access to the video is no longer necessary.” As a result, the court “is now removing the video from its possession and returning it to you.” News organizations led by Atlanta TV station WSB and The Atlanta Journal-Constitution wanted the court to release the DVD. The court’s decision about the video comes as Deen shakes up the team she has defending her. She just replaced her attorneys, hiring Washington, DC-based super lawyer Grace Speights at Morgan, Lewis & Bockius. She also recently split from her long-time agent, Barry Weiner.
Court Returns Paula Deen Deposition Video To Lawyers, Putting Public Release In Doubt
What's Hot on Deadline
'Deadpool' Smacking Christian Grey's February Records With $47.5M+ Friday, Amazing $129M-$136M 4-day
Universal Wins 'The Grownup'; 'Gone Girl' Author Gillian Flynn Short Story Sells In High-Six-Figure Deal
Latest Business News
- Bill Cosby Fights Again To Stop Sexual Assault Case Moving Forward
- Will Hollywood’s Flood Of Franchises Beat ‘Star Wars’-Fueled 2015 Toy Sales?
- Will Smith & Alan Horn Join Obama & Katzenberg For Private L.A. Dinner – Update
- Samantha Bee Vs. The Guys On Late Night, Plus: The Coming Tony Awards Wars? – Gerard & Roth
- Hot Berlin Titles: What Buyers Are Buzzing About At The EFM
- Obamageddon Is In Effect As POTUS Arrives In L.A. For ‘Ellen’ & Fundraisers – Update