The feature-length documentary from writer-director Ky Dickens looks at the emotional aftermath facing lone survivors of commercial plane crashes. Sole Survivor is having its premiere tomorrow at the Traverse City Film Festival, and it will appear on CNN early next year following a theatrical release. The premise: there have been 14 major airplane crashes with a sole survivor in the history of commercial aviation, and the docu focuses on one, George Lamson Jr, who as a teenager nearly three decades ago was the lone survivor of the Galaxy Airlines flight 203 crash near Reno, NV. He seeks the community of the other 13, all of whom have their own unique journey toward healing. “We are delighted about Sole Survivor as our latest CNN Films acquisition,” said Amy Entelis, SVP Talent and Content Development for CNN Worldwide. “We think the universal life questions explored in this film will resonate with our viewers — who will learn that there was so much more to these stories.” CNN Films has been ramping up its acquisitions activity since debuting as a buyer at Sundance this year, making deals on documentaries including Our Nixon, Pandora’s Promise and most recently the killer whale pic Blackfish to air on the network.
CNN Films Acquires Plane Crash Docu ‘Sole Survivor’
What's Hot on Deadline
'Jungle Book' Still Hot In Third Weekend With $35M-$36M; 'Mother's Day' Has Edge Over 'Keanu' - Update
Tony Goldwyn, Josh Lucas, Michael C Hall, Marton Csokas & Kate Walsh Surround Liam Neeson For Watergate Thriller 'Felt'
Latest Film News
- ‘Jungle Book’ Still Hot In Third Weekend With $35M-$36M; ‘Mother’s Day’ Has Edge Over ‘Keanu…
- The Orchard Promotes Paul Davidson To Exec VP
- Home Entertainment Spending Fell 9% In Q1 Not Including Streaming Services
- Will Ferrell Not “Pursuing” ‘Reagan’ Black List Film After All
- Marc Platt To Bring Sega’s ‘Shinobi’ To Big Screen
- Oscar-Winning Cinematographer Robert Richardson Inks With WME