The feature-length documentary from writer-director Ky Dickens looks at the emotional aftermath facing lone survivors of commercial plane crashes. Sole Survivor is having its premiere tomorrow at the Traverse City Film Festival, and it will appear on CNN early next year following a theatrical release. The premise: there have been 14 major airplane crashes with a sole survivor in the history of commercial aviation, and the docu focuses on one, George Lamson Jr, who as a teenager nearly three decades ago was the lone survivor of the Galaxy Airlines flight 203 crash near Reno, NV. He seeks the community of the other 13, all of whom have their own unique journey toward healing. “We are delighted about Sole Survivor as our latest CNN Films acquisition,” said Amy Entelis, SVP Talent and Content Development for CNN Worldwide. “We think the universal life questions explored in this film will resonate with our viewers — who will learn that there was so much more to these stories.” CNN Films has been ramping up its acquisitions activity since debuting as a buyer at Sundance this year, making deals on documentaries including Our Nixon, Pandora’s Promise and most recently the killer whale pic Blackfish to air on the network.
CNN Films Acquires Plane Crash Docu ‘Sole Survivor’
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Team
- Film Arcade And Paramount Team On Romantic Comedy 'Love, Rosie'
- Pete Hammond's Telluride Q&A With Makers Of 'The Imitation Game' (Video)
- UPDATE: Joan Rivers Remains In Serious Condition Following Thursday Cardiac Arrest
- UPDATE: Abrams Artists & 'Ghost Adventures' Producer End Commissions Dispute
- Wil Wheaton Blogs His Syfy Show Is Toast
- Miranda Mayo Joins 'Pretty Little Liars'; Samm Levine In 'Selfie'