UPDATED: The Vince Vaughn-Owen Wilson buddy comedy about middle-aged interns inside Google doesn’t open in 3,000-plus North American theaters until June 7th. But Twentieth Century Fox has quietly decided to sneak director Shawn Levy’s The Internship tonight for one prime 7 PM show around the country. Sign of desperation or confidence? “Word of mouth screenings have been phenomenal and preview screenings have scored unbelievably. Better than tracking would suggest. Thus the sneaks,” an insider tells me. The studio also may hold another round of sneaks on Monday in honor of National Intern Appreciation Day. Fox grabbed the June 7th date last October, or 3 weeks earlier than The Internship was supposed to release. Now it’s the first original comedy of the summer. Hard to believe it’s been 8 years since these actors first teamed up for Wedding Crashers. Even harder to understand why New Line never did a sequel for that or Toby Emmerich didn’t snap up Vaughn’s original script for this. I’ve asked and received no satisfactory answer on both. (“Toby really missed the boat on this one,” one insider noted to me.)
Fox Sneaking ‘The Internship’ Tonight
What's Hot on Deadline
'Justice League' Currently Stumbling With $97M+ Opening: Are 'Wonder' & 'Thor' Cutting Into Business?
Sony Pictures Confirms Quentin Tarantino Deal; Margot Robbie, Tom Cruise, Brad Pitt, Leonardo DiCaprio Circling
Ryan Eggold, Who Played Fan Favorite Tom Keen In 'The Blacklist,' Joins Spike Lee's 'Black Klansman'
Actress Accuses 'Girls' EP Murray Miller Of Sexual Assault; Showrunners Lena Dunham & Jenni Konner Defend Him - Update
Latest Box Office News
- Review: Lerner & Loewe’s Golden ‘Brigadoon’ With Kelli O’Hara and Aasif Mandvi
- ‘Justice League’ Currently Stumbling With $97M+ Opening: Are ‘Wonder’ & ‘Thor’ Cutting Into…
- How MoviePass Is Girding For The Massive ‘Last Jedi’ Holiday B.O. Season: CEO Says “Exhibitors Should Be Thrilled”…
- ‘Justice League’ Unites $27.3M After Two Days At International Box Office
- Fandango Reports Sensational Advance Group Ticket Sales For ‘Wonder’
- ‘Justice League’ Powers To $13M Thursday Night; Beats ‘Wonder Woman’ – Friday AM Update