The $36M deal gives Europe’s largest commercial broadcaster a 51% stake in BroadbandTV — and a small hedge against the softening overseas ad sales that contributed to the 18.9% drop in RTL Group shares so far this year on the Frankfurt exchange. RTL Group says that the acquisition is “part of a planned series of investments” in BroadbandTV and “creates a new platform for RTL Group’s digital strategy.” Vancouver-based BroadbandTV is the fifth-largest provider of YouTube videos and will continue to be run by its charismatic Iran-born founder Shahrzad Rafati. The companies “have defined an ambitious growth plan fueled by investments in technology, advertising sales, content, international expansion and talent,” she says. The alliance “will enable content owners and creators across the globe to achieve their ambitious goals, which is one of the key reasons for BroadbandTV’s existence.”The firm mostly works with independent producers, helping them them to develop videos and then package and sell them. It attracted 16.3M unique viewers in April, comScore says. RTL will have three seats on the BroadbandTV board and “is committed to becoming a major player in all segments of the rapidly growing online video market,” says RTL co-CEO Guillaume de Posch.
RTL Group Boosts YouTube Presence As It Buys Controlling Stake In BroadbandTV
What's Hot on Deadline
Jared Kushner Repeats "I Did Not Collude" Doctrine In Rare Public Speech After Meeting With Senate Intel Staff
'Dunkirk' Takes Box Office By Storm With $55.4M No. 1 Spot For $105M+ Global Opening; 'Valerian' $23.5M Start - Int'l Box Office
Latest Business News
- PalmStar Media Closes Near $12M National Lampoon Deal; Can Laugh Brand Regain Luster?
- Hulu Picks Kelly Campbell To Be Chief Marketing Officer
- Dwayne Johnson’s Apple Movie With Siri Dominating The Day
- Korean Broadcasters Introduce Kocowa To Stream K-Wave Entertainment
- ‘Captain Marvel,’ ‘Island Plaza’ & ‘Midway’ Among Films Awarded CA Tax Credits
- Linkin Park Pens Tribute To Chester Bennington After Launching Suicide-Prevention Site