Here is something that surprises no one. Jason Blum has tweeted they will develop a sequel to The Purge, the $3 million Universal Pictures and Blumhouse film that grossed over $34 million and stars Ethan Hawke and Lena Headey. Sequel-ization seems self evident when a movie with that paltry a budget outgrosses the big-ticket summer competition at the weekend box office. The sequel also was somewhat telegraphed when it was named as a winner of the California Tax Credit Production Lottery. Blum has the enviable distinction of having four price-conscious franchises, the others being Paranormal activity, Insidious and Sinster. Pretty remarkable. Here’s the tweet:
Non-Shocker! Jason Blum Tweets There Will Be More ‘Purge’-ing At Universal
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Fleming Jr
- Holy Macau…Casino Short Film Lineup: Scorsese, De Niro, DiCaprio, Pitt
- Venice Spotlight: Ami Canaan Mann On 'Jackie & Ryan'
- Not So Fast On 'Hey Ho, Let's Go'
- 'Sons Of Anarchy's Charlie Hunnam Is Guy Ritchie's Choice For King Arthur
- Dark Day For Civility In Trade Journalism
- Steve Carell Reunites With Julianne Moore In 'Freeheld'