Here is something that surprises no one. Jason Blum has tweeted they will develop a sequel to The Purge, the $3 million Universal Pictures and Blumhouse film that grossed over $34 million and stars Ethan Hawke and Lena Headey. Sequel-ization seems self evident when a movie with that paltry a budget outgrosses the big-ticket summer competition at the weekend box office. The sequel also was somewhat telegraphed when it was named as a winner of the California Tax Credit Production Lottery. Blum has the enviable distinction of having four price-conscious franchises, the others being Paranormal activity, Insidious and Sinster. Pretty remarkable. Here’s the tweet:
Non-Shocker! Jason Blum Tweets There Will Be More ‘Purge’-ing At Universal
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
Box Office: 'If I Stay' Best Of Lifeless Bunch As 'Sin City 2' Tanks, 'Game' Tries To Find Footing And 'Guardians' No. 1
More From Fleming Jr
- Does TV Hurt Movie Careers? 'True Detective's Matthew McConaughey Coveted For 'The Stand' And 'Gold'
- Tobey Maguire's Material Signs Oscar Sharp To Blind Deal Off Short Pic 'The Karman Line'
- Circle Of Confusion's Brad Mendelsohn To Head Lit Department
- Andrew Dominik To Script 'Shaolin Temple' For Helmer Justin Lin
- Brad Grey Takes ALS Plunge With Help From Johnny Knoxville
- EMMYS: Deadline's Live-Blog Special Guest: 'Sons Of Anarchy' Creator Kurt Sutter