This is the first time in the Muscular Dystrophy Association’s 48-year history of its telethons that it will broadcast on a single television network. The two-hour MDA Show of Strength Telethon will air on ABC on Sunday, September 1 from 9-11 PM ET, with proceeds going to help children and adults affected by progressive muscle diseases. The show has seen its length cut over the years, when it partnered with various network affiliates for the annual broadcast. It’s also moving on without Jerry Lewis, who had fronted the event for 45 years until he parted with the organization in 2011. There was no mention of him in today’s release announcing the ABC deal.
ABC Inks Deal With MDA Telethon
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Team
- Huayi Brothers Spending $130 Million To Start U.S. Subsidiary
- 11 Years Later, Feds Order CNN To Rehire Fired Union Workers
- Hot Trailer: Jason Schwartzman & Elisabeth Moss In 'Listen Up Philip'
- Chiké Okonkwo Set For 'Banshee' Arc; Scott Glenn Joins 'Marvel's Daredevil'
- UPDATE: FCC Weighs In On Local Broadcaster's Rescue Of Dodgers For Stretch Run
- 'Bill Maher: Live From DC' HBO's Most Watched Comedy Special In 5 Years