Ripper Street‘s Matthew Macfadyen and Episodes‘ Stephen Mangan are set to star in Perfect Nonsense, a new take on the works of P.G. Wodehouse. The play will see Mangan as bumbling fop Bertie Wooster and Macfadyen as his brilliant butler Jeeves. Wodehouse first created the characters in 1915 and they’ve been portrayed on stage and screen going back to 1935. More recently, Stephen Fry played Jeeves to Hugh Laurie’s Bertie in the cult 1990s ITV series Jeeves & Wooster. Tony and Olivier Award nominee Sean Foley is directing Perfect Nonsense with previews starting in the UK in October. There’s no word yet on a Stateside transfer. Foley’s I Can’t Sing! — The X Factor Musical, produced by Simon Cowell’s Syco, is gearing up for a March 2014 rollout in London.
Matthew Macfadyen, Stephen Mangan Pair As Jeeves & Wooster For West End Play
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Tartaglione
- Edinburgh: Channel 4 Boss David Abraham Says UK TV Biz Showing U.S. How It's Done
- Edinburgh: Channel 4 Orders North Korea Political Thriller By Matt Charman
- Edinburgh: Judi Dench & More Join Benedict Cumberbatch In BBC Two's 'Richard III'
- Edinburgh: Channel 4 Joins Acquisition Bandwagon With Stakes In 4 Indies
- Global Showbiz Briefs: BBC Unveils 'Doctor Who' Web Series; 'Coronation Street' & 'Emmerdale' Staying On Aussie TV Into 2020
- Global Showbiz Briefs: Tom Cruise, 'Edge Of Tomorrow' Score Japan Cool Prizes; Bloomsbury Set Circled For 'Life In Squares'