ICM Partners has signed Cuba Gooding Jr. No Oscar-winner’s path has been more confounding than that of Gooding. He seemed poised for great things after his performance as the wide receiver opposite Tom Cruise in Cameron Crowe’s Jerry Maguire, followed by his exuberant Oscar acceptance speech. Gooding has been in some decent movies since — Men Of Honor, Pearl Harbor, As Good As It Gets and American Gangster – but it also looked like he went for a lot of easy paydays and squandered his momentum. It also didn’t help that right after all the acclaim Gooding received for his performance as a player who stayed loyal to his sports agent, Gooding ditched his film agent right after, and has bounced like a tennis ball between talent agencies. He comes to ICM from CAA at a time when he has some momentum. He’s currently on Broadway in The Trip To Bountiful and has the lead role in Life Of A King, the indie film that premiered last weekend at the LA Film Festival. He should get a real boost from the Lee Daniels-directed The Butler, which The Weinstein Company releases August 16. He’s got a strong supporting role that could put Gooding back on track.
ICM Partners Signs Cuba Gooding Jr
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Fleming Jr
- 'Skull Island:' Tom Hiddleston Stars In King Kong Origin Tale
- Skydance Productions Names Larry Wasserman CFO
- Bart & Fleming: On Football Violence, And Rethinking Toronto Vs. Telluride Turf War
- What Was I Thinking? IFC President Jonathan Sehring On Funding 'Boyhood' For 12 Years
- Ashley Judd & Demian Bichir Join Voltage's 'Good Kids'