Legendary Pictures and Warner Bros are getting close to unveiling their giant-robot film Pacific Rim, which opens July 12. The film, which is under $200 million I’m told, has a marketing strategy championed by geek-savvy Thomas Tull, and they’ve gone in a daring direction to promote the film for a big opening weekend. Early marketing played up the core geek crowd that patronizes Comic-Con, Wonder-Con, CinemaCon and the web, and while some publications say that audience awareness isn’t what it should be, Legendary and Warner Bros have gone into overdrive with a big general marketing blitz they will hope will offset the fact that while the film has good actors — Charlie Hunnam, Idris Elba, Charlie Day — the film is one of the only tentpoles launching that doesn’t have a big star out in front of it.
Hot Trailer: Guillermo Del Toro’s ‘Pacific Rim’
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Fleming Jr
- Netflix Sets 'Crouching Tiger 2′ As 1st Feature; Hollywood's Nightmare?
- 'Boyhood's Richard Linklater Baseball Pic Fielded By Annapurna, Paramount
- Matt Bomer Joins Ryan Gosling & Russell Crowe In 'The Nice Guys'
- 'Saturday Night Live' Debut: Who Directed This Hot Mess?
- Gerard Butler Eyes Babak Najafi As 'Olympus Has Fallen' Sequel Helmer
- Bart & Fleming: On 70s Films, UA Resurrection, Goat Horns And Glory