Legendary Pictures and Warner Bros are getting close to unveiling their giant-robot film Pacific Rim, which opens July 12. The film, which is under $200 million I’m told, has a marketing strategy championed by geek-savvy Thomas Tull, and they’ve gone in a daring direction to promote the film for a big opening weekend. Early marketing played up the core geek crowd that patronizes Comic-Con, Wonder-Con, CinemaCon and the web, and while some publications say that audience awareness isn’t what it should be, Legendary and Warner Bros have gone into overdrive with a big general marketing blitz they will hope will offset the fact that while the film has good actors — Charlie Hunnam, Idris Elba, Charlie Day — the film is one of the only tentpoles launching that doesn’t have a big star out in front of it.
Hot Trailer: Guillermo Del Toro’s ‘Pacific Rim’
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Fleming Jr
- Hot Red Band Trailer: 'Nightcrawler'
- Warner Bros To Remake 'Who Am I'; Pic Is German Box Office Sensation
- Jesse Eisenberg's Lex Luthor Joining DC Comics Pic 'Suicide Squad'?
- 'Act Of Killing' Helmer Joshua Oppenheimer Signs With UTA
- Sebastian Stan Joins 'The Martian' And 'Ricki And The Flash'
- Chiwetel Ejiofor Lands On 'The Martian'