Legendary Pictures and Warner Bros are getting close to unveiling their giant-robot film Pacific Rim, which opens July 12. The film, which is under $200 million I’m told, has a marketing strategy championed by geek–savvy Thomas Tull, and they’ve gone in a daring direction to promote the film for a big opening weekend. Early marketing played up the core geek crowd that patronizes Comic-Con, Wonder-Con, CinemaCon and the web, and while some publications say that audience awareness isn’t what it should be, Legendary and Warner Bros have gone into overdrive with a big general marketing blitz they will hope will offset the fact that while the film has good actors — Charlie Hunnam, Idris Elba, Charlie Day — the film is one of the only tentpoles launching that doesn’t have a big star out in front of it.
Hot Trailer: Guillermo Del Toro’s ‘Pacific Rim’
What's Hot on Deadline
No Obama Bounce For DNC Day 3 Ratings As They Fall Behind RNC, 'Wayward Pines' Finale Down From 2015
Venice Film Festival: Lido To Launch Pics From Ford, Gibson, Malick & More As Awards Season Starts To Buzz - Full List
Bill O'Reilly Defends Comments That Slaves Who Built The White House Were "Well-Fed And Had Decent Lodging" - Update
Latest Film News
- Thiller ‘Here and Gone’ Lands At Random House Studio In First Project With China’s Meridian; James Schamus…
- ‘Masterminds’ Trailer: What Could Be Simpler Than A Multimillion-Dollar Heist?
- Vin Diesel Nearing 100M On Facebook But Females Are Top 2016 Social Media Stars
- DGA Sets 2017 Awards Schedule
- ‘The Accountant’ Trailer #2: Ben Affleck & The World’s Scariest Pocket Protector
- Nick Jonas In Talks To Join ‘Jumanji’ Movie