Legendary Pictures and Warner Bros are getting close to unveiling their giant-robot film Pacific Rim, which opens July 12. The film, which is under $200 million I’m told, has a marketing strategy championed by geek-savvy Thomas Tull, and they’ve gone in a daring direction to promote the film for a big opening weekend. Early marketing played up the core geek crowd that patronizes Comic-Con, Wonder-Con, CinemaCon and the web, and while some publications say that audience awareness isn’t what it should be, Legendary and Warner Bros have gone into overdrive with a big general marketing blitz they will hope will offset the fact that while the film has good actors — Charlie Hunnam, Idris Elba, Charlie Day — the film is one of the only tentpoles launching that doesn’t have a big star out in front of it.
Hot Trailer: Guillermo Del Toro’s ‘Pacific Rim’
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Fleming Jr
- Holy Macau…Casino Short Film Lineup: Scorsese, De Niro, DiCaprio, Pitt
- Venice Spotlight: Ami Canaan Mann On 'Jackie & Ryan'
- Not So Fast On 'Hey Ho, Let's Go'
- 'Sons Of Anarchy's Charlie Hunnam Is Guy Ritchie's Choice For King Arthur
- Dark Day For Civility In Trade Journalism
- Steve Carell Reunites With Julianne Moore In 'Freeheld'