Sen. Frank Lautenberg, D-N.J., was set to retire after his fifth term expired next year. But the oldest member of the US Senate — and its last World War II veteran — died today, potentially throwing the race to replace him into high gear if a special election is called. Newark Mayor Cory Booker wants to fill that suddenly vacant seat, and he’s coming to town for a June 10 fundraiser with young Hollywood at the London West Hollywood. Booker’s not the only Eastern Seaboard Democrat with Senate hopes heading west with hat in hand: Rep Ed Markey, D-Mass. – who’s tuned in to Hollywood via his role on the House telecommunications subcommittee — has his eye on the Bay State seat vacated by newly minted Secretary of State John Kerry, and he’s got a fundraiser set for Sunday at Haim and Cheryl Saban’s house. Democratic industry types might develop a blister from reaching for their wallets in the next several days: President Obama will be the star attraction at a fundraiser Friday at Peter Chernin’s place.
Hollywood: Fundraiser Central For Democratic Senate Hopefuls This Week
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Team
- Film Arcade And Paramount Team On Romantic Comedy 'Love, Rosie'
- Pete Hammond's Telluride Q&A With Makers Of 'The Imitation Game' (Video)
- UPDATE: Joan Rivers Remains In Serious Condition Following Thursday Cardiac Arrest
- UPDATE: Abrams Artists & 'Ghost Adventures' Producer End Commissions Dispute
- Wil Wheaton Blogs His Syfy Show Is Toast
- Miranda Mayo Joins 'Pretty Little Liars'; Samm Levine In 'Selfie'