Subscription viewers weren’t the only ones who went nuts for HBO‘s Game Of Thrones season finale. According to TorrentFreak, over 1 million BitTorrent users downloaded Sunday’s single episode within 24 hours, with as many as 171.5K sharing the same file simultaneously. The HBO show is a network exclusive and not available on services like Netflix, leading to increased piracy numbers particularly overseas in Australia where episodes are delayed in airing. Last year Game Of Thrones became the most-downloaded TV show of 2012 when its second season finale notched a reported 4.3M downloads, an achievement HBO President of Programming Michael Lombardo has in the past described as a “compliment” that didn’t negatively hurt DVD sales. TorrentFreak projects that Sunday’s third season finale could top season 2’s record making Game Of Thrones again the most pirated TV show of the year.
‘Game Of Thrones’ Season 3 Finale Slays Piracy Record; 1M Downloads In One Day
Trending Now on Deadline
'Ouija' Box Office May Scare Up $20M, 'John Wick' No. 2 With A Bullet, Bill Murray Graces 'St. Vincent' - B.O. Weekend
More From Team
- UPDATE: Warner Bros Moves Up 'Entourage' Release By A Week
- Terry Keenan Dead: Longtime Business Reporter-Anchor At CNN, CNBC & Fox News
- Film Independent Spirit Awards 2015 To Be Broadcast Live On IFC
- Lyndsy Fonseca Joins 'Marvel's Agent Carter'
- Jim Parsons To Star In Animated 'Elf' Holiday Special On NBC
- 'Madam Secretary' Coming To U.K. On Sky Living; NBCUniversal International Television Production Pacts With TV3 Group Ireland…