Subscription viewers weren’t the only ones who went nuts for HBO‘s Game Of Thrones season finale. According to TorrentFreak, over 1 million BitTorrent users downloaded Sunday’s single episode within 24 hours, with as many as 171.5K sharing the same file simultaneously. The HBO show is a network exclusive and not available on services like Netflix, leading to increased piracy numbers particularly overseas in Australia where episodes are delayed in airing. Last year Game Of Thrones became the most-downloaded TV show of 2012 when its second season finale notched a reported 4.3M downloads, an achievement HBO President of Programming Michael Lombardo has in the past described as a “compliment” that didn’t negatively hurt DVD sales. TorrentFreak projects that Sunday’s third season finale could top season 2’s record making Game Of Thrones again the most pirated TV show of the year.
‘Game Of Thrones’ Season 3 Finale Slays Piracy Record; 1M Downloads In One Day
What's Hot on Deadline
TLC "Deeply Saddened" As It Pulls All Episodes of '19 Kids And Counting' In Wake Of Child Molestation Allegations - Update
'Ant-Man' Scribes Andrew Barrer & Gabriel Ferrari Join 'Transformers' Writers Room: Cybertron Pic In Offing?
Latest TV News
- Matt Corman & Chris Ord Join CW Drama ‘Containment’ As Co-Showrunners
- Nazneen Contractor Joins NBC’s ‘Heroes Reborn'; Aoibhinn McGinnity In Cinemax’s ‘Quarry’
- Michael Nyqvist Signs With ICM Partners
- Nicholas D’Agosto Returns To ‘Gotham’ As Series Regular
- Sony Eyes Relaunching TriStar Television Banner Run By Suzanne Patmore Gibbs
- ‘Jane The Virgin’ Emmy Campaign Employs Gina Rodriguez’s Own Words