The Steven Spielberg-produced sci-fi series Falling Skies has been a hit for TNT in the U.S. Will it become an even bigger success in China? Singapore-based online video site Viki thinks so. The company, which offers ad-supported streaming of content from around the world, has distribution deals with three platforms in China: It signed with Renren (aka the Facebook of China) last year and just pacted with VOD sites LeTV and Xunlei Kankan, each of which has a dedicated VikiZone channel. Viki just launched Falling Skies on all three services, with the show quickly jumping to No. 2 on search giant Baidu Video’s list of the most-searched U.S series. In aggregate in the last two weeks, Falling Skies has been viewed more than 7 million times locally. (The Noah Wyle-starrer kicked off its 3rd season in the U.S. on June 9 with just over 4.2 million viewers.) It also generated 630,000 posts on Weibo, China’s Twitter, in a single week, Viki says. Viki has made waves since it was founded in 2007, impressing tech experts and investors with its unique model. It offers content from around the world which is subtitled in more than 150 languages by a group of volunteer translators. Content providers include Cartoon Newtork, TNT, NBC, KBS, SBS, TV Tokyo and BBC Worldwide which is also a strategic investor in the company.
‘Falling Skies’ Reigns In China For Online Streaming Site Viki
What's Hot on Deadline
'Black Panther' Keeps B.O. Treasure From 'Tomb Raider'; How 'I Can Only Imagine' Hit A $17M High Note
'SNL' Imagines #MeToo Apology Spree By "Canada's Harvey Weinstein," Trots Out Impressions In 'Jurassic Park' Auditions
Director Terry Gilliam Says #MeToo "Got Silly", "Monster" Harvey Weinstein "Opened The Door" For Some
Ellen Barkin Says "Never Get Into An Elevator Alone With Terry Gilliam" After His Criticism Of #MeToo Movement
'Avengers: Infinity War' Already The Best-Selling Superhero Movie In Advance Ticket Sales, Beating 'Black Panther'
Latest International News
- ‘Tomb Raider’ Tops $100M Offshore, Digs Up $41M In China – International Box Office
- ‘The Shape Of Water’ Has Fairy Tale $10M+ China Opening; Crosses $100M Overseas
- Paramount’s ‘Dora The Explorer’ Movie Set For Australia Shoot After Tax Break Concession
- California Pol To Wolf Blitzer: Donald Trump “Spinning Out Of Control”, Serious Security Threat, Has To Go
- Saudi Arabia Fund Deal For Endeavor Stake Could Close In Week’s Time For $400M
- British Presenter Billie JD Porter Slams Vice Media’s Response To Sexual Harassment Claims