EXCLUSIVE: In a pre-holiday week Friday night deal, DreamWorks is pre-emptively acquiring The Fire Sermon by Francesca Haig, a poet and short story writer. It is the first of a trilogy, and Carla Hacken is attached to be producer, one of the first deals for the former exec who signed a producing deal with the studio. The book circulated in manuscript form. The plot: 400 years after a nuclear apocalypse, society is left without technology and all humans are twins. One of each pair is physically perfect, and they are called Alphas, while the other, the Omega, bears some mutation. The apartheid society forces the mutated twins to settlements, even though when one twin dies, so does the other. This is the relationship between a brother and sister twin, and what happens when he becomes a leader in the repressed society. I’m told the author has sketched out the other two books for buyers, and they are confident there is a solid trilogy here.The movie crowd got wind of the book after six publishers chased the UK rights, which wound up with Voyager, the fantasy imprint of HarperCollins that publishes George R.R. Martin’s books. A U.S. auction is coming on July 10. Resolution repped the book with UK agent Juliet Mushens, The Agency Group.
DreamWorks Acquiring Futuristic Book Trilogy ‘The Fire Sermon’
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Fleming Jr
- MGM Buys 55% Of Roma Downey And Mark Burnett's Empire; Relaunches United Artists
- Lava Bear Joins Chinese Pic 'The Bodyguard'
- Bart & Fleming: Are Studios Driving The Lazy Road Paved By Detroit Automakers?
- Joseph Gordon-Levitt Circling Edward Snowden Role In Oliver Stone Film
- TIFF 2014: How Chris Rock, New Distribution Blood Fueled Film Deals
- Matt Damon, Zhang Yimou Want To Scale 'The Great Wall' In China