Harrison Ford will return for the second time to San Diego Comic-Con as Summit presents its next would-be franchise, Ender’s Game – but controversial author Orson Scott Card will not be joining in the festivities. The Hugo and Nebula Award-winning novelist drew fire for his publicly anti-gay views earlier this year when DC Comics tapped him to pen a Superman comic. Despite being a producer on the film and a huge figure in the sci-fi-fantasy world, Card’s conspicuously being kept at a distance from the film’s promotional campaign. Not that Summit’s lacking in star power. Ford, who made his first Comic-Con appearance for 2010’s Cowboys & Aliens, is set to appear in Hall H on Thursday, July 18 with producer Bob Orci, director Gavin Hood, and co-stars Asa Butterfield, Hailee Steinfeld, and Abigail Breslin to preview new footage from the sci-fi adaptation about a young boy recruited into an intergalactic war. Offsite Summit is constructing an 8-room interactive Ender’s Game exhibit for fans in the heavily trafficked downtown Gaslamp district, in addition to hosting its usual booth on the convention floor. It’s a big promo push for the November 1 release as Summit attempts to launch its next YA-driven franchise now that The Twilight Saga is over. Meanwhile, parent company Lionsgate was first out of the gate announcing their Hunger Games: Catching Fire and I, Frankenstein Comic-Con panels yesterday.
Comic-Con: Summit Plots Big ‘Ender’s Game’ Push Without Orson Scott Card
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Yamato
- Telluride: Fandor Acquires Sci-Fi Short 'The Sand Storm' Starring Ai Weiwei
- A Year After First Peek, Universal Trailers Delayed 'Seventh Son'
- Jena Malone, Douglas Smith Lead 'Bottom Of The World'; Nick Braun Heads To 'Stanford'; David Coussins Joins 'Good Kids'
- XLrator Media, New Artists Alliance Ink 3-Picture Sci-Fi Pact
- WME Signs 'Goosebumps' Star Dylan Minnette
- Drafthouse Acquires Martin Starr Romance 'Amira & Sam'