EXCLUSIVE: Bridget Carpenter has boarded Sundance Channel’s recently greenlighted drama series The Descendants as executive producer and showrunner. On the project, which received a straight-to-series six-episode order, Carpenter will work alongside writer/co-executive producer Aaron Guzikowski and executive producer Sarah Condon. The Descendants is Sundance’s second wholly owned original scripted series, joining Rectify. It is a hard-hitting drama that revolves around a sheriff struggling to keep his family together while simultaneously policing two clashing communities: the small town where he grew up and the neighboring Ramapo Mountains, home of the Ramapo Mountain Indians. After a terrible tragedy and cover-up occurs involving the sheriff’s wife, an unholy alliance is forged between the sheriff and a dangerous member of the tribe that will come back to haunt all involved. Carpenter has worked closely with Jason Katims, including on Friday Night Lights for the praised drama’s entire five-season run, and on Parenthood for two seasons. She also is a playwright whose plays have been produced by theaters around the country. Carpenter, repped by CAA, Ira Schreck and David Berlin, currently is writing the book for Disney’s musical adaptation of Freaky Friday.
Bridget Carpenter To Run Sundance Channel’s Drama Series ‘The Descendants’
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Andreeva
- Raycom Media TV Stations Blacked Out By DirecTV In Carriage Dispute
- ABC Buys Medical Thriller From Janine Sherman Barrois & Aaron Kaplan
- Bob Cooper, EOne Prep Post-Apocalyptic Event Series With Book Acquisition
- Fox Buys Detective Drama Based On Australian Miniseries 'Jack Irish'
- 'The Greatest American Hero' Gets Fox Remake With Phil Lord & Chris Miller
- Jennifer Johnson Exiting 'The Following' As Showrunner, Trio Takes Over