EXCLUSIVE: Bridget Carpenter has boarded Sundance Channel’s recently greenlighted drama series The Descendants as executive producer and showrunner. On the project, which received a straight-to-series six-episode order, Carpenter will work alongside writer/co-executive producer Aaron Guzikowski and executive producer Sarah Condon. The Descendants is Sundance’s second wholly owned original scripted series, joining Rectify. It is a hard-hitting drama that revolves around a sheriff struggling to keep his family together while simultaneously policing two clashing communities: the small town where he grew up and the neighboring Ramapo Mountains, home of the Ramapo Mountain Indians. After a terrible tragedy and cover-up occurs involving the sheriff’s wife, an unholy alliance is forged between the sheriff and a dangerous member of the tribe that will come back to haunt all involved. Carpenter has worked closely with Jason Katims, including on Friday Night Lights for the praised drama’s entire five-season run, and on Parenthood for two seasons. She also is a playwright whose plays have been produced by theaters around the country. Carpenter, repped by CAA, Ira Schreck and David Berlin, currently is writing the book for Disney’s musical adaptation of Freaky Friday.
Bridget Carpenter To Run Sundance Channel’s Drama Series ‘The Descendants’
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
UPDATE: 'Cops' Bryce Dion Killed By Friendly Fire In Omaha While Filming Response To Wendy's Robbery
More From Andreeva
- It's Official: AMC Picks Up Channel 4 Series 'Humans'
- Fall 2014 Preview: Cloudy Ratings Forecast & Where The Networks Stand
- Duo Of Writers Sell Assassin & Auto-Theft Dramas Produced By Chris Morgan To Fox
- 'Simpsons' Duo Adapting Spanish Blended Family Comedy 'Los Serrano' For Fox
- TNT Makes 'One Giant Leap' Into Miniseries With Neil Armstrong Project
- HBO Developing 'The Commissar's Report' Russian Spy Series From Martyn Burke