BBC One has joined with The Jim Henson Company for That Puppet Game Show, a new comedy game series that has a few things in common with Henson’s original Muppet Show. The series is currently shooting and will occupy a primetime slot on Saturday nights beginning later this year. Each week, two celebrity guests – the only humans on the program – will compete head-to-head in a group of “madcap” games as they vie to win £10,000 for charity. Like The Muppet Show, which incorporated behind-the-scenes shenanigans along with the actual onstage goings-on, That Puppet Game Show will also feature a backstage sitcom. The new characters created for the program include Mancie the producer and show exec Udders McGhee. The host, Dougie Colon (above, and pronounced Cologne), bears a resemblance to Sesame Street character Guy Smiley, who was created and performed by the late Jim Henson. That Puppet Game Show is a co-production between BBC In-House Entertainment and The Jim Henson Company. The executive producers are Derek McLean and Brian Henson.
BBC, Jim Henson Co. Bringing Puppets To UK Primetime With ‘Muppet’-Style Show
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
Netflix Nabs Judd Apatow Comedy Series With 2-Season Order; Paul Rust & Gillian Jacobs To Star, Legendary TV To Produce
More From Tartaglione
- Global Showbiz Briefs: Rome Film Festival Reveals First 5 English-Language Titles; Soda Pictures Bringing 'Phoenix' To UK; More
- 'Help! I Can't Cook' Serves Up Record Debut In Israel; Is Keshet In The Sweet Spot Again?
- China: Understanding & Respect Key To Massive Market, But Does Anybody Know Anything?
- Global Showbiz Briefs: BBC's Hugh Bonneville Starrer 'W1A' Back For Season 2; Denmark's TDC Group Paying $2.15B For Norwegian…
- Intl Box Office Final: No. 1 Bragging Rights In China Too Close To Call As 'Storm,' 'Expendables 3′ And 'Apes' Fight It Out
- Patrice Théroux Exiting eOne; Steve Bertram Named President Global Film Group