The retailer’s stock price is down about 10% in pre-market trading after it released disappointing financials for the three months that ended in April, along with an $18.3M charge to account for weak sales of its NOOK tablets and e-readers. Barnes & Noble had a net loss of $118.6M in the quarter, vs a $56.9M loss in the period last year, on revenues of $1.28B, -7.4%. The top line was below analyst expectations for $1.33B. The net loss at $2.11 a share — including one-time expenses — contrasts with forecasts for a 99 cent loss. B&N says that it is evaluating some previous financial reports “which may result in a revision” although it doesn’t believe that the amounts will be material. The NOOK business was clearly a sore spot with revenues of $108M, -34%. The company says that it will “significantly reduce losses” in the business by finding partners to help make its color tablets. Revenues for retail book sales fell 10% to $948M due in part to store closures and a drop in online sales — and what it says were tough comparisons to last year which had strong sellers with The Hunger Games and Fifty Shades Of Grey. Same store sales, not including NOOK products, fell 5.8%. “We are taking big steps to reduce the losses in the Nook segment, as we move to a partner-centric model in tablets and reduce overhead costs,” CEO William Lynch says.
Barnes & Noble Shares Fall On Weak Earnings And NOOK Impairment Charge
What's Hot on Deadline
'Thursday Night Football' Ratings Down From Thanksgiving 2016, Macy's Parade Steady, 'Young Sheldon' Up
'Coco' Now Higher With $74M+ Thanks To A+ CinemaScore; 'Justice League' At $61M+; 'Wonder' Wows At $32M+: Friday AM Update
Uma Thurman To Harvey Weinstein: "I'm Glad It's Going Slowly, You Don't Deserve A Bullet... Stay Tuned"
Denzel Washington & Dan Gilroy On Why 'Roman J. Israel, Esq' Never Left The '60s Behind - The Contenders Video
Latest Business News
- Time Responds To Donald Trump’s “Incorrect” Claims Of Turning Down Person Of The Year — Update
- YouTube Begins Purging “Non-Family Friendly” Content As Advertisers React
- Journalism Schools Rescind Awards Given To Charlie Rose In Wake Of Sexual Misconduct Accusations — Update
- Apple Investment In Original Video Will Reach $4.2 Billion By 2022: Report
- Exhibition Stocks Rise In Short Trading Session On Holiday Box Office Optimism
- Justin Goldberg’s Search For Long-Lost Twin Is Story Made For Hollywood