Awkward creator/executive producer/showrunner Lauren Iungerich will be leaving the flagship MTV comedy series when it wraps production on Season 3 tomorrow. The network characterized the parting of the ways as mutual. “Awkward is a wonderful series and we appreciate the creativity and devotion Lauren brought to this show,” MTV Programming President Susanne Daniels said. “We wish her the best in her new ventures.” MTV is looking to extend the series, currently seeking a new showrunner for a potential fourth season. Iungerich’s decision to leave Awkward is said to have been a difficult one for her based on a combination of work and personal reasons. It comes three months after she exited her MTV comedy pilot Hot Mess as the pilot was heading into MTV’s screenings with a lot of buzz. The network ultimately decided to not go forward with the project. Both Awkward and Hot Mess originated under the previous MTV regime. Awkward is slated to return for the second half of its third season in October.
‘Awkward’ Creator Lauren Iungerich To Depart After Season 3, MTV Looking For New Showrunner
What's Hot on Deadline
Jimmy Kimmel Defends Florida Students Under Attack From Far Right Wingnuts Ted Nugent, Donald Trump Jr.
Latest TV News
- Seth Gordon To Direct ‘Dan The Weatherman’ Fox Comedy Pilot
- ‘Scandal’ Star Bellamy Young To Topline ABC Comedic Soap Pilot ‘False Profits’
- Donald Trump Points Finger At Movies, Video Games During Gun Violence Meeting
- Liz Gateley Exits As Lifetime Head Of Programming; Tanya Lopez Promoted & fyi’s Gena McCarthy Adds Lifetime Duties
- Harvey Weinstein Says Sorry For “Improperly” Using Meryl Streep & Jennifer Lawrence In Lawsuit
- WABC-TV President & GM Dave Davis Retires From New York Station