Awkward creator/executive producer/showrunner Lauren Iungerich will be leaving the flagship MTV comedy series when it wraps production on Season 3 tomorrow. The network characterized the parting of the ways as mutual. “Awkward is a wonderful series and we appreciate the creativity and devotion Lauren brought to this show,” MTV Programming President Susanne Daniels said. “We wish her the best in her new ventures.” MTV is looking to extend the series, currently seeking a new showrunner for a potential fourth season. Iungerich’s decision to leave Awkward is said to have been a difficult one for her based on a combination of work and personal reasons. It comes three months after she exited her MTV comedy pilot Hot Mess as the pilot was heading into MTV’s screenings with a lot of buzz. The network ultimately decided to not go forward with the project. Both Awkward and Hot Mess originated under the previous MTV regime. Awkward is slated to return for the second half of its third season in October.
‘Awkward’ Creator Lauren Iungerich To Depart After Season 3, MTV Looking For New Showrunner
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Andreeva
- ABC Buys Medical Thriller From Janine Sherman Barrois & Aaron Kaplan
- Bob Cooper, EOne Prep Post-Apocalyptic Event Series With Book Acquisition
- Fox Buys Detective Drama Based On Australian Miniseries 'Jack Irish'
- 'The Greatest American Hero' Gets Fox Remake With Phil Lord & Chris Miller
- Jennifer Johnson Exiting 'The Following' As Showrunner, Trio Takes Over
- Enver Gjokaj & Chad Michael Murray Cast In ABC Series 'Marvel's Agent Carter'