Awkward creator/executive producer/showrunner Lauren Iungerich will be leaving the flagship MTV comedy series when it wraps production on Season 3 tomorrow. The network characterized the parting of the ways as mutual. “Awkward is a wonderful series and we appreciate the creativity and devotion Lauren brought to this show,” MTV Programming President Susanne Daniels said. “We wish her the best in her new ventures.” MTV is looking to extend the series, currently seeking a new showrunner for a potential fourth season. Iungerich’s decision to leave Awkward is said to have been a difficult one for her based on a combination of work and personal reasons. It comes three months after she exited her MTV comedy pilot Hot Mess as the pilot was heading into MTV’s screenings with a lot of buzz. The network ultimately decided to not go forward with the project. Both Awkward and Hot Mess originated under the previous MTV regime. Awkward is slated to return for the second half of its third season in October.
‘Awkward’ Creator Lauren Iungerich To Depart After Season 3, MTV Looking For New Showrunner
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Andreeva
- NBC Buys Legal Drama From Matt Lopez & John Glenn
- Julianna Margulies Inks Production Deal With CBS Studios
- 'Hand Of God' To Go To Series, Two Others Likely As Amazon Studios Starts Making Series Pickup Decisions
- ABC Nabs 1970s Female Cop Drama From Fake Empire & Kapital Entertainment As Put Pilot
- 'Rush Hour' To Be Remade As Action Series From Bill Lawrence & Brett Ratner
- Yvonne Strahovski To Co-Star In ABC's 'Astronaut Wives Club'