Europe’s Cultural Exception, which holds that cultural goods and services be treated differently than others, may be protected after all. France had threatened to veto trade talks between the EU and the U.S. over the inclusion of the audiovisual and film industries in a negotiation mandate that is expected to be set at a meeting of the Foreign Affairs Council of the European Union tomorrow. Just hours from the meeting, AFP reports that the European Commission is set to offer its 27 member states an exceptional first-look right during the negotiations. “Ordinarily, the European Commission negotiates free trade agreements with a third party on behalf of the 27. But there is a constant dialogue with the European states to keep them informed,” a source told the news agency. The EC is proposing to go back to the member states for their green light when the audiovisual question comes up, the source added. France has been leading the charge of European countries and filmmakers who are concerned that including the arts in the trade talks would jeopardize the creation, distribution and financing of European film. Over 7,000 filmmakers have now signed a petition to keep the audiovisual and film industries off the table.
AFP: European Commission To Offer Compromise On Cultural Exception In EU-U.S. Trade Talks
What's Hot on Deadline
'Thursday Night Football' Ratings Down From Thanksgiving 2016, Macy's Parade Steady, 'Young Sheldon' Up
Pete Hammond's Notes On The Season: 'Wonder' Makes Awards Play; 'Dunkirk' Storms The Q&A Circuit; Netflix Sends A Pig To Voters
Uma Thurman To Harvey Weinstein: "I'm Glad It's Going Slowly, You Don't Deserve A Bullet... Stay Tuned"
Latest Film News
- ‘Coco’ Cooking $71M+; ‘Justice League’ At $59M+; ‘Wonder’ Wows At $31M+: Black Friday Update
- Pete Hammond’s Notes On The Season: ‘Wonder’ Makes Awards Play; ‘Dunkirk’ Storms The Q&A Circuit; Netflix Sends A Pig To…
- Kumail Nanjiani On How A Pitch To Judd Apatow About A Ghost Witch Movie Begat ‘The Big Sick’ – The Contenders…
- Exhibition Stocks Rise In Short Trading Session On Holiday Box Office Optimism
- ‘Arthur Miller: Writer’ Helmer Rebecca Miller Discusses Her Doc Portrait Of Father Arthur Miller
- Denis Villeneuve On His Love Of Sci-Fi, Working With Ridley Scott On ‘Blade Runner 2049’ & Revisiting ‘Dune’ – Behind The…