Here we go again. Last May, Fox, NBC and ABC all scheduled single-camera comedies from 9-10 PM on Tuesday, a move CBS’ scheduling czar Kelly Kahl called a “comedy sigalert.” Of the comedies scheduled in the hour last year, only Fox’s New Girl and The Mindy Project survived and continue in the slot. Meanwhile, ABC and NBC are both back at it, with ABC scheduling new comedies The Goldbergs and Trophy Wife in the fall and NBC slating Welcome To The Family and About A Boy in midseason. “Last year, we had very similar comedies airing against each other,” ABC president Paul Lee said today about the scheduling move. “Now we have a blockbuster show at 8 PM (Marvel’s Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D.), we will be promoting The Goldbergs, and we’re playing from strength as (ABC comedies are tackling) areas nobody is.” It is true that last year, most 9-10 PM comedies were ensembles about single people (New Girl, Mindy, ABC’s Happy Endings and Don’t Trust The B—-, and NBC’s Go On), but this year both ABC and NBC are going for family fare in the hour.
Tuesday “Comedy Sigalert” Back With Fox, NBC & ABC Again Doing 9-10 PM Block
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Andreeva
- CBS Buys Medical Drama From Sarah Watson & Jason Katims As Put Pilot
- Amblin TV Preps 'Minority Report' Series With 'Godzilla' Writer
- GSN Renews 'It Takes A Church' & 'The Chase'
- WE TV Orders 'Sex Box' Series About Couples Having & Discussing Sex
- Comedy Writer Lindsey Shockley Inks Overall Deal With ABC Studios
- RATINGS RAT RACE: 'Big Brother' & 'Penn & Teller: Fool Us' Perk Up, 'SYTYCD' Slips