Ordinarily I wouldn’t be especially interested in today’s news about a $1.1M seed round investment in Skift, a business travel information site. But I thought differently when I saw the list of media biggies backing the young enterprise from Paid Content founder Rafat Ali. Lerer Ventures — the investment firm created by Huffington Post co-founder and former AOL Time Warner EVP Ken Lerer — led the latest financing effort. Other new backers include Shari Redstone‘s Advancit Capital. New angel investors include Martin Nisenholz (former New York Times SVP digital operations) and Paul Noglows (former Variety reporter-turned-analyst/investor). Current investors include Chris Ahearn, former president of Reuters Media; Gordon Crovitz, former publisher of the Wall Street Journal; Tom Glocer, former CEO of Thomson Reuters; and Jason Hirschhorn, former co-president of MySpace. With the new investment, Skift will have raised more than $1.5M, with plans to double its staff to produce news and services for business travelers. “At a time when investors are leery of both travel companies and content companies, Rafat and the Skift team have created a model that’s immediately viable and valuable,” says Lerer Ventures Managing director Eric Hippeau.
Shari Redstone Teams With Media Elite Backing Travel Information Site
What's Hot on Deadline
Bravo Renews & Expands 'Southern Charm', Sets More 'Shahs Of Sunset' & 'Million Dollar Listing New York'
Latest Business News
- Andrew Rannells And Christian Borle Are Tender, If Unlikely, Lovers In ‘Falsettos’ Revival – Review
- NBCUniversal & Comcast Slapped With Age Discrimination Suit By Ex-E! SVP
- The Night State Sen. Ron Calderon Offered To Sell Out The Film Industry For A Bribe
- Axium Ex-Boss Convicted Of Tax Evasion; Company Was Showbiz Payroll Powerhouse Before Collapsing
- SAG-AFTRA Vidgame Strike: AFL-CIO Calls On Industry To Resume Talks
- Viacom Board Poised To Give CEO Job To International Networks Chief Bob Bakish