The streaming media player maker said today it has received $60 million from new investors, including Hearst Corp., to help build its streaming software and services businesses. Roku said the latest funding round was led by “one of the world’s largest institutional investors” which it did not name, along with Hearst. Prior investors, including BSkyB and News Corp, contributed $45 million to Roku last July. Best known for its lineup of popular streaming players, including the new Roku 3, the company is extending its streaming platform by working with other consumer electronics brands. In a statement, Roku says more than 3.5 million Roku Ready devices, predominantly TVs, will be in retail by the end of the year. Roku Ready devices access the Roku streaming platform through the Roku Streaming Stick, a small USB-sized device sold by Roku. “Roku has a significant portfolio of investment and strategic partners with very successful global businesses. Their recognition of our brand success and belief in the Roku platform is a tremendous endorsement of our potential to shape the future television experience,” Roku Founder and Chief Executive Officer Anthony Wood said in a statement. “BSkyB and News Corporation are exceptional partners and we look forward to deepening our relationship with Hearst in the months to come.” In the coming months, Roku says it will continue to expand access points to its streaming platform.
Roku Raises $60 Million From Investors In Latest Funding Round
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Team
- Ving Rhames Boards 'Operator'; 'Threshold' Ramps Up; Five Join 'Clavius'
- Boston Teamsters' 'Top Chef' Threats Become Statewide Campaign Issue
- Olafur Darri Olafsson Joins AMC Comedy Pilot 'We Hate Paul Revere'; Shohreh Aghdashloo & Steven Strait In 'The Expanse'
- Sundance Institute Taps Pair To Lead Its New Frontier Program
- A24, DirecTV Acquire Liam Hemsworth Thriller 'Cut Bank'
- Jeffrey Katzenberg Accepts Deadline's ALS Ice Bucket Challenge: Video