Former LA newsman Mario Machado, known for playing reporters and interviewers in movies like RoboCop and Rocky III, died Saturday in a convalescent home in West Hills, CA. He was 78. The LA Times obituary says he had Parkinson’s disease, according to his daughter. Machado worked at LA’s CBS-TV among other local stations, starting his career in 1967 at KHJ-TV (now KCAL-TV) as an on-air news reporter, a first for a Chinese-American, according to LARadio.com. He also was a soccer commentator. His film and TV credits include Scarface and the 1971 TV movie Brian’s Song.
R.I.P. Mario Machado
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
UPDATE: 'Cops' Bryce Dion Killed By Friendly Fire In Omaha While Filming Response To Wendy's Robbery
About 1 Million Watch Chelsea Handler Say So Long To E! As Gwen Stefani Nearly Fumbles Another TV Appearance: Video
More From Team
- Netflix Gets Into French Originals Business With 'Marseille'
- Diane Sawyer Signs Off As Anchor Of 'World News' (Video)
- R.I.P. Character Actor Stephen Lee
- UPDATE: 'Magic Mike' Sequel Moved Up To Wednesday Before Fourth Of July
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Snags Summer Season's Second Strongest Numbers With Major Spoiler
- John Hillcoat's 'Triple Nine' Gets September 2015 Release Date