Former LA newsman Mario Machado, known for playing reporters and interviewers in movies like RoboCop and Rocky III, died Saturday in a convalescent home in West Hills, CA. He was 78. The LA Times obituary says he had Parkinson’s disease, according to his daughter. Machado worked at LA’s CBS-TV among other local stations, starting his career in 1967 at KHJ-TV (now KCAL-TV) as an on-air news reporter, a first for a Chinese-American, according to LARadio.com. He also was a soccer commentator. His film and TV credits include Scarface and the 1971 TV movie Brian’s Song.
R.I.P. Mario Machado
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Team
- 'Red Band Society' Bus Ads Pulled Over Offensive Language Referring To Octavia Spencer
- Hot Trailer: Christoph Waltz & Amy Adams In Tim Burton's 'Big Eyes'
- Fox Moves 'Assassin's Creed' Out of 2015; Sets 'Deadpool' For Feb. 2016
- Ruben Fleischer, David Bernad & Justin Spitzer Sell Workplace Comedy To NBC
- Tech Titan Larry Ellison Steps Down As Oracle CEO
- R.I.P. Publicist Bob Palmer