EXCLUSIVE: Legendary Pictures and Norwegian Kon-Tiki helmers Joachim Rønning and Espen Sandberg have parted company on Spectral, a big project they signed on to direct in January with much fanfare. It was their first studio deal, made around the time their pic was creating Oscar buzz for Best Foreign Language film. The duo had been signed to a holding deal with the intention of making this film next. That deal ended, and apparently Legendary wanted to move forward and the helmers felt the script needed more seasoning and a longer development track. The script, based on a treatment by Ian Fried and with a most recent script draft by Jayson Rothwell, is described as a supernatural Black Hawk Down and it is viewed as a potential franchise. The helmers will move on to other projects, and Legendary will look to lock in a new director to get the project to the start line later this year.
‘Kon-Tiki’ Helmers Part Company With Legendary Over ‘Spectral’
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Fleming Jr
- Dylan Sellers Exits President Post at TWC
- Dennis Quaid Joins Dan Rather-George W. Bush Scandal Pic 'Truth'
- Quvenzhane Wallis To Star In Bestseller 'Counting By 7s'
- Netflix Sets 'Crouching Tiger 2′ As 1st Feature; Hollywood's Nightmare?
- 'Boyhood's Richard Linklater Baseball Pic Fielded By Annapurna, Paramount
- Matt Bomer Joins Ryan Gosling & Russell Crowe In 'The Nice Guys'