EXCLUSIVE: With The Lone Ranger in the can, Disney, producer Jerry Bruckheimer and Johnny Depp have turned their attention toward setting sail on a fifth installment underway of Pirates Of The Caribbean. While a number of pie-in-the-sky giant directors are being mentioned, here are three helmers I hear are on the short list. Fredrik Bond, who helmed The Necessary Death Of Charlie Countryman, has been a favorite of Bruchkeimer and has been rumored for some time. The hot new candidate is the Kon-Tiki directing team of Joachim Rønning and Espen Sandberg, who just fell out of the Legendary Pictures film Spectral; and I am also hearing buzz about Snow White And The Huntsman helmer Rupert Sanders. The Kon-Tiki guys are the names I’m hearing most often, but no offer has been made and there will probably be a few more meetings prior to any of that happening. Production is being slotted for late this year or early next year, but the director will be locked within the next few weeks. Disney made an unexpected choice for the last film, Pirates Of The Caribbean: On Stranger Tides with Rob Marshall, and that grossed over $1 billion. Given the names here, they’re clearly looking to inject fresh creative energy to the mix. Stay tuned.
Disney Getting Close On ‘Pirates 5’ Director; Here’s The Short List
What's Hot on Deadline
Netflix Lands 'Outlaw King'; David Mackenzie Directs Chris Pine As Robert The Bruce In Scottish Epic
'Fate Of The Furious' Fires Up $745M Offshore, $908M WW; Tops 'Transformers' In China - International Box Office
Latest Film News
- Snoop Dogg & Daz Dillinger Fire Up Drama Series Based On Their Early Days
- E/F/O, Tri G Co-Finance De Niro-Starrer ‘The War With Grandpa’ With Marro Films; Uma Thurman, Rob Riggle…
- ‘Big Little Lies’ Kathryn Newton, Gideon Adlon & Geraldine Viswanathan Make ‘The Pact’
- ‘Fate Of The Furious’ Drives Over Five Newcomers With $38.4M; Second Frame Down 61% – Final B.O.
- Estonian Folk Tale ‘November’ Acquired By Oscilloscope – Tribeca
- ‘Aardvark’ Producer-Star Zachary Quinto On Film’s “Valiant” Exploration Of Mental Illness…