San Francisco, Calif. – Discovery Communications and Revision3 announced today the launch of TestTube, a digital video network designed to ignite online audiences who are incurably curious about the world around them. TestTube debuts with a robust slate of 15 short-form series and many more in development, and hosted by some of the Internet’s top personalities. TestTube is available at TestTube.com, and through Revision3’s mobile site and apps, YouTube, Xbox and additional distribution partners.
“Discovery is in the business of igniting curiosity – from on-air to on-line – and for all types of audiences,” said JB Perrette, Chief Digital Officer, Discovery Communications. “This is another step in our mission to be the #1 nonfiction video and media company on all screens. We’ve doubled our original online video output this year, and are growing new audiences with TestTube and other digital networks that are creating great content that entertains and engages.”
TestTube will stand apart from other online networks by launching with 10 million streams of largely original owned content, growing to an expected 20 million streams by year-end 2013. TestTube goes beyond offering a point of view, providing a transformative lens through which viewers can see wonder within the ordinary, magic in the mundane and inspiration all around them.
TestTube’s mix of short-form content comprises all-new series with some of the Internet’s top hosts and stars and original online programs leveraging other Discovery Communications’ web properties,. Among TestTube’s new series is the recently launched hit DNews, and a brand new “slo-mo” show called Distort. In addition, Discovery Channel’s MythBusters co-host Tory Belleci will headline Blow it Up, a short-form series to launch late summer.
The full TestTube launch line-up includes:
• Shots of Awe – Where science, philosophy and inspiration addiction collide. testtube.com/shotsofawe
• Scam School – If Harvard offered a PhD in deceit, this would be it. Award-winning magician Brian Brushwood takes viewers on an inside tour of bar tricks, street cons and scams. testtube.com/scamschool
• DNews – DNews informs & entertains a science-curious audience with new videos daily. Hosts Anthony Carboni, Laci Green and Trace Dominguez don’t just tell you what you should know, they provide the context and opinion to give the audience a grounding in both the facts and what it all means. testtube.com/dnews
• Distort – The show that distorts time to show you things you might otherwise miss with the human eye. testtube.com/distort
• Laci Green’s Sex+ –YouTube host, Laci Green, explores human sexuality in this popular series. testtube.com/lacigreen
• Thanks, Disaster – This new weekly hosted web series reveals the silver lining of tragic events. testtube.com/thanksdisaster
• Melody Sheep – Melody Sheep offers remixes for the soul; bringing science, philosophy and pop culture together with music. The videos bring a meaningful message to listeners while providing a fun, enjoyable experience. Tune in, sing along & learn. testtube.com/melodysheep
• Pick Your Poison – This weekly series shows what happens to the human body when we come into contact with different toxins. testtube.com/pickyourpoison
• Stuff of Genius – Stuff of Genius tells the story behind everyday inventions. Viewers will learn the stories of unsung inventor heroes and their trials, tribulations and successes. testtube.com/hiddengeniusshow
• Stuff Mom Never Told You – Cristen Conger gets down to the business of being a woman and all the stuff mom never told you about bodies, boys, the female brain and more. testtube.com/stuffmomnevertoldyou
• Stuff to Blow Your Mind – Join hosts Robert Lamb and Julie Douglas as they gauge the limits of scientific understanding, crack wise about technology and stare deep into the transhuman future. testtube.com/stufftoblowyourmind
• Stuff They Don’t Want You to Know – Join Ben and Matt to learn the stuff they don’t want you to know about everything from ancient history to UFOs, government secrets, and the future of civilization. testtube.com/stufftheydontwantyoutoknow
• Stuff You Should Know – Climb aboard with Josh and Chuck (from HowStuffWorks) on their quest to explain everything interesting about the world, one topic at a time. testtube.com/joshandchuck
• Nature Hates You – Find out all the ways Mother Nature can and will mess you up. Each episode introduces one of Nature’s creations like rain, sinkholes, ants and many you’ve never even dreamed of while delivering the message that “Nature Hates You… Yes. YOU.” testtube.com/naturehates
• Showcaine – Hosts Matt Baca and Pete Macy, as well as “sidekick” Dmitry, explore facts, trivia and anecdotes in a comedic and freeform conversational journey. testtube.com/showcaine
“We live in an amazing world, and at an amazing time, and I’m super excited to share our optimistic world view with the rest of the web,” added Jim Louderback, CEO, Revision3. “We’re looking forward to inspiring, entertaining, teaching and satisfying curiosity with TestTube. Plus, I love seeing things blow up in slow motion.”
Revision3 was founded in 2005 and was acquired by Discovery Communications in May 2012. In the year since, Revision3’s online audience has grown more than 175% and video streams have more than tripled. During that time, Revision3 has enabled the successful launches of channels based on popular podcasts and content from Discovery Communications’ online properties including Discovery News, in addition to signing top talent like the Fine Brothers (Kids React) and gaming expert Adam Sessler (Rev3Games).
Discovery’s Revision3 Launches Science-Themed Web Channel: TestTube
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter