Danish director Thomas Vinterberg, whose The Hunt was in the Cannes competition last year, will make his studio-produced English-language helming debut with the adaptation of Thomas Hardy’s 1874 novel, Far From The Madding Crowd. The UK’s DNA Films is producing with Fox Searchlight, which confirms that Carey Mulligan and Matthias Schoenaerts will star in the new take. They’ll play Bathsheba Everdine and Gabriel Oak in the story of the ill-fated passions of a willful young woman and her three suitors. Production is scheduled for this fall in the UK with Searchlight marketing and distributing for the world. A previous film version was directed by John Schlesinger in 1967 and starred Julie Christie, Terence Stamp, Peter Finch and Alan Bates (as Oak). Mulligan is in Cannes this week in support of The Great Gatsby and Inside Llewyn Davis. Schoenaerts was in Cannes last year with Rust And Bone and is here now with Blood Ties. They are both repped by CAA; Vinterberg is repped by ICM Partners.
Carey Mulligan, Matthias Schoenaerts Set For Searchlight’s ‘Far From The Madding Crowd’
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Tartaglione
- Avi Arad & Bruno Wu Using Genghis Khan To Invade China
- Intl Box Office Update: 'Lucy' Crosses $100M Overseas; 'Sin City 2′ Drops In Russia; More
- UPDATE: 'Doctor Who' Hits U.S. High With Season 8 Debut; BBC America Scores Top-Rated Saturday Ever
- Keshet Int'l CEO On 'Rising Star's Future & Legacy, Developing Formats Directly For The U.S., & The Enduring Israeli TV Biz
- Hot Venice Trailer: Viggo Mortensen In French-Language 'Far From Men'
- Ken Loach Calls For Cultural Boycott Of Israel, Labels U.S. A “Bully”: Reports