The Cannes Film Festival is known the world over as a showcase for movies, celebrities and swanky parties. It’s also known for the thieves that descend on the town during the two-week period. One made off with a massive score on Thursday night, heisting what’s said to be over $1M worth of Chopard jewelry from a hotel room. The police service in Nice confirm to Deadline that the theft took place. Chopard is a sponsor of the fest and designs the coveted Palme d’Or awards. It also provides baubles for celebrities who strut the red carpet. According to French media reports, the theft occurred in the room of a Chopard employee at the Suite Novotel hotel which is about a 10-minute walk from the Croisette. The room safe, which contained jewelry destined to be worn by stars here in town, was ripped out and removed, Nice police told Le Monde. Festgoers have long fallen victim to pickpockets and hotel room break-ins, but this is one of the biggest heists to go down in recent Cannes history. Coincidentally, last night saw the world premiere of Sofia Coppola’s The Bling Ring in Un Certain Regard. That movie is based on the true story of a group of teenagers who stole more than $3M in luxury goods from the homes of celebrities.
Cannes: Thief Makes Off With $1M+ In Chopard Jewelry Meant For The Red Carpet
What's Hot on Deadline
Maria Contreras-Sweet-Led Group In Exclusive Negotiations To Acquire Assets Of The Weinstein Company
Latest Film News
- Magnolia Moving Towards Ruth Bader Ginsburg Sundance Docu ‘RBG?’
- Hilary Swank On Family Dysfunction In ‘What They Had' – Sundance Studio
- Netflix Circling ‘Cloverfield’ Sequel ‘God Particle’?
- 'Search' Wins Alfred P. Sloan Foundation Film Prize – Sundance
- ‘Westworld’s Angela Sarafyan Set For Ted Bundy Pic ‘Extremely Wicked, Shockingly Evil, And Vile’
- ‘MATANGI / MAYA / M.I.A.’ Doc Shines Light On Singer’s Advocacy For Fellow Tamils – Sundance Studio